What happens when a car's rego expires!

ifusion, Nov 22, 5:54am
Hi there, im looking a buying a car that has a rego that has expired. Now i understand you have to re-register it, but does it also have to be complied again or something! Abit of silly question but ive never let my rego run out before so don't know haha

craig04, Nov 22, 5:57am
It only has to be re-vinned if the rego is over 12 months lapsed. otherwise, the arrears just need to be paid up and a new rego purchased.

jasongroves, Nov 22, 5:59am
If it expired less than 12 months ago then it just just be licensed again at normal cost for that vehicle.
If you are putting it into your name, then you only pay from the day you change ownership details.
If its more than 12 months out and is now degistered, then yes it will need to be complied again and issued with new plates after undergoing and passing a vigorous check.
Cost will vary depending on ago, type of vehicle and whether repairs or changes need to be made.

jasongroves, Nov 22, 6:00am
Arrears are the responsibility of the previous owner if you are purchasing a vehicle and change it into your name;)

ifusion, Nov 22, 6:00am
So when it gets re-vinned does the car get checked over!

ifusion, Nov 22, 6:02am
Oh right ok, so this cars rego has just run out a week ago, so shouldn't be to much drama.

ifusion, Nov 22, 6:04am
the vehicle license expired a week ago

jasongroves, Nov 22, 6:05am
Excuse me.am multi-tasking. Lol. Harder than it sounds.

craig04, Nov 22, 6:06am
Yes that is true, but regardless of whose responsibility it is, they still have to be paid up before a new rego can be issued.

ifusion, Nov 22, 6:07am
I would change the name before before i relicencing it. I'm going to be putting a RB20DET into it so it will need a cert when thats all done aswell.

jasongroves, Nov 22, 6:08am
Nope. Not true.

jasongroves, Nov 22, 6:09am
If you are taking it off the road for a while, then I would just put the license on hold for 12mths after changing ownership details into your name.

ifusion, Nov 22, 6:12am
Ok so, because the license has expired. If i buy it now, change the ownership papers into my name. I can then put the license on hold for 12 months and then worry about re-licensing it after the conversion is done!

craig04, Nov 22, 6:15am
So once ownership is changed and a new license issued in the new owners name, is it just up to the previous owner to pay the arrears! I'm not arguing with you, just interested to know.

jasongroves, Nov 22, 6:20am
Yup. Once the ownership changes hands, it no longer (in a sense) has anything to do with the vehicle. The amount owing in rego/licensing fees by the previous owner becomes an outstanding debt with LTSA. Which, if not paid, can be passed over to a debt collection agency. Even if that happens though, it wont affect the vehicle or the new owner.

ifusion, Mar 29, 10:43am
Awsome, thanks for clearing that up guys. Cheers :)