Wheel guards,,,, who can

walkyluvva, Jan 16, 2:51am
make me some ! I got some wide wheels on my trike, 15" x 15" rims, the tyres are Mickey Thompsom S/R's & the wheel OD is 29". Can anyone recommend anyone in Auckland ( outside Auck ok too ) that can manufacture some guards to suit ! Steel or Glass. Cheers

racetoy, Jan 16, 3:27am
what about alloy truck guards the ones that cover the rear duels on semi's

whqqsh, Jan 16, 3:36am
do you want full length or just 1/4s, most sheetmetal firms will roll up some out of flat but if you want a large lip you may be paying a lot more. Recommend a few swages to strengthen & break the flat surface & at that width they tend to shake & flap a bit too if not really well mounted. I made a pair for my T bucket & they looked pretty plain just rolled sheet. Can do a basic set of stainless if you get stuck.

clark20, Jan 16, 5:42am
You could get some off Fraser cars and widen them

pollymay, Jan 16, 5:55am
If you work with fibreglass buy some oasis blocks (the green flower arrangement things) and carve them into shape over the guards (hot glue them on) then overlay with mat and fibreglass. You are then free to make any shape and blend it in.

But you seem to want premade.

walkyluvva, Jan 16, 8:17am
Yeah I looked into them, the arc is too big tho. I actually bought some plastic guards off an 'Access Concrete' truck, stupid me didnt get measurements, when I went to pick them up, lets just say theyre alot bigger off the truck & I struggled to get them into my wagon,,,,

walkyluvva, Jan 16, 8:24am
Certification requires minimum 1/3 of wheel to be covered, so I'll be looking at doing just that, I paid good $$ for the wheels & tyres so I may as well show them off ay. I'd like a reasonable lip on them rolling over the sidewall of the tyre a bit. Thanks for the info.

walkyluvva, Jan 16, 8:29am
Thanks for the info. Its been a while since I glassed anything, did a surfboard repair 20 odd years ago. I will look into it. Cheers

whqqsh, Jan 16, 8:58am
from what I worked on (& passed cert) the guard only has to cover forward past the verticle centre line & below the rear horizontal centreline, even if its by only 10mm thats legal, unless the law has changed, mine was a few years ago. might help if you want to go minimalist

h.e, Jan 16, 9:07am
TWL can supply steel guards any diameter,width,lenght you want i had some supplied by them to my measurementsfor about $80

walkyluvva, Jan 17, 7:31am
Did they have a rolled lip/edge ( basic trailer guard profile )!

dansue, Jan 17, 7:53am
Got a guy down here in Taranaki that just made up a real nice custom rear gaurd for my chopper.He can make anyshape you want.Did an awsum job.
You want his number!

rob_man, Jan 17, 7:56am
Get in touch with your local westie trike club, one of the senior members is a fibreglass guy and he's probably still got the moulds from when he made his ones.

h.e, Jan 17, 8:26am
yea they do, they may have some in stock as an example of what you can get,you can definately order what you want,mine were very small about 450 dia,trailer had 10 inch rims

h.e, Jan 17, 8:33am
should add they are made from galv sheet dont know if they make them from black,special primers may be needed,not a bad looking trike i built one about 5 yrs ago lexus v8 sat 3 one behind the other done it as a perk for a bloke down here never again

walkyluvva, Jan 17, 8:54am
Cool. I'll give them a bell & see what they can do. Cheers

walkyluvva, Jan 17, 8:55am
Is that the 'Kiwi Trikers' club !

walkyluvva, Jan 17, 8:58am
Yeah that'd be cool. Speaking of custom guards, I saw a beaut on a 300 series rear tyre at the Kemeu car show on Sat. My wheels are 400mm wide & theres tyre bulge on top of that too. Cheers

rob_man, Jan 17, 9:00am
I'm pretty sure it is, the guy you want is Steve.

walkyluvva, Jan 17, 9:04am
Thanks, I'll see if I can find out. They got a website/blog, but its not up & running, but there is a contact email address. Cheers

walkyluvva, Dec 31, 12:57am
I wonder if its this guy ! Listing no. 347436707