Hilux surf wheel bearing

weavs09, Feb 3, 10:24pm
Jus looking for tips on easiest way to tighten front right side bearing for the wof it's for a 91surf 3lt petrol, I've taken wheel,caliper, and a silver dome cover which then exposed a 12mm bolt that's bout 4cm long which Is screwed into a shaft that looks to be cog of some sort, to get back to question " how do I get to the wheelbearing!! " cheers weavz

intrade, Feb 3, 10:31pm
dont know what you are doing but i never take any caliper off when i do bearing play. the hub has to come off with 8 or so nuts and carfully not bouncing off the bushes as they are tapered if it has that fitted. below that somwhere is a nut secured with a folded over washer to stop it from undoing you bend back the washer and tap the big nut clockwise and check the play of the whole wheel grabing top bottom with wheel of the ground of course. thats about all there is to it secure big nut by folding back washer and reasemble auto-locking or manual lock hub thats for 4wd version of a 91 surf

weavs09, Feb 3, 10:38pm
It's a 4x4 and its got disk breaks in the front, so you need to take the whole hub ( that has the disk on it ). Iv done wheel bearings in cars but not a 4x4 wit a autolocking hub etc.

intrade, Feb 3, 10:42pm
no you take nothing off apart from the center cover in the middle of the wheel its the same as doing a wheel bearing on a drumbrake takes 20 minutes tops to adjust if you dont lose the parts as the taper bushes bounce up to 5 meter if you are not carfully then it will take you ages to find em again in your lawn.

mk3zephyr, Feb 3, 10:46pm
+1, just did mine on Thursday for a warrant, Carefully tapped each side of the cover with a hammer to loosen the cover and to slide the cones out a bit, then tapped the cover back in place and used some pliers to remove the cones before removing the cover so they didnt fly everywhere lol then there is a lock nut, then a lock tab and then another nut that you turn clockwise to tighten the bearing play up, once you are satisfied then its the reverse of putting it back together though you may have to tap the lock tab flat again and bend them back over when the lock nut is back on, once you have the cover off it will be as clear as mud, doesnt take long to do

intrade, Feb 3, 10:46pm
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t263/longdrop_2007/IMGP0355.jpg!t=1201637352
you can see the hammer on the stud is the tapers that fly 5 meters to the right the taper has alredy ejected it self best to put back the nuts to stop em all taking off and the center sirclip that you can see also has to come off first below that is the adjustment nut.
the picture is of the manaul locking hub the automatic one is just as easy to do if you cant do that then you should probably buy a manual and learn things from scratch.

weavs09, Feb 3, 10:47pm
Are those tapered bushes you talk bout 12mm and they have a flat washer and the " tapered bush " sits in the hole that the 12mm bolt heads are !

weavs09, Feb 3, 10:51pm
Awesome I think I get it now by looks of that photo. Cheers heaps will give it another crack lol

intrade, Feb 3, 10:51pm
i explained exactly with a picture click the friggen picture or post a picture of your hub to imageshack.us and post the link here and somone will expain it on your hub.

intrade, Feb 3, 10:53pm
and dont force things and be carfull if you got manual locking the lock can fall apart and only fits one way without forcing. it reassembles easy when done correct reverse order.

mrfxit, Feb 4, 1:41am
Reassembly can be out 180 degree's.
Before you pull the locking hub off mark it so you know which side around it is.
With the auto hubs, it simply won't engage the front axles when in 4x4 mode.
Not dealt with the manual hubs.