2000 VW Polo - transmission shifter assembly prob

phillip.weston, Jan 17, 9:51pm
hey guys, we have another one of these stunning beasts - now this one doesn't pink or stall however we got it with the top of the gear shifter missing. We've acquired another gear shifter top but wouldn't have a bloody clue how to fit the thing! I can see how the knob/button assembly pushes down onto the shaft and locks into place, but I can't see how the button activates the rod in the middle of the shaft. The rod currently has a 10mm nut on the top but it's barely threaded and the top of the rod has a 45deg angle cut into it, so I am unsure if this 10mm nut even belongs on it. Even with the nut removed and the shifter pushed down onto the shaft and rod I cannot see how the button in the shifter knob pulls up on the rod to be able to move the shifter.

Anyone able to help! I'm just about sick of this thing already. Absolutely no one in Hamilton is free to look at it today, and even then I'm hesitant to pay a mechanic an hours labour for them to work out how it works.

Thanks

807, Jan 18, 4:22am
Stick to Jappa's, Phil.

1fordluva, Jan 18, 6:28am
Oh boy,did one of these in a telstar a while back.oh boy they are a connundrum and I cant remember how I did it.

1fordluva, Jan 3, 1:49pm
Thats it,I bought an entire base with it all together and just put the plate in then plugged the connection in and done.