Inner steering rack end!

jsbike, Nov 22, 5:51am
failed wof for this, what/where is it! I wasnt the one that took the car for wof so couldnt get the wof guy to point it out at the time

panicky, Nov 22, 5:54am
screwed into each end of the steering rack.

thunderbolt, Nov 22, 5:55am
Screws into the rack. Under the boot on the end of the rack. Connects to the tie rod.

jsbike, Nov 22, 6:26am
cheers, so i'm guessing i replace the whole rod (tie rod!), in which case it will then need a wheel allighnment!

mugenb20b, Nov 22, 6:44am
Tie rod end and locking nut off. Rack boot off. Unlock the locking tab on the square end of the inner rack end. Unbolt the inner rack end (you might need a 12 inch crescent spanner to do this). Put locktite on the thread of the new rack end, and reassemble in reverse order.

bopbargains, Nov 22, 6:52am
as above.plusit wouldpay toget a wheel alignment.depends on thecar,some are impossible to doinplace so you might have to remove the racktodo the job.

carmedic, Nov 22, 7:36am
Really!

mm12345, Nov 22, 7:40am
If you get stuck, or if it's the rack - not the ball joint (WOF check-box tickers probably don't know) - as you're in Chch, go to the Power Steering Shop in Aldwins Road.He's never done a job for me, butseems to be a good guy who knows what he's doing, and prices I've seen for rack rebuilds are okay.

evotime, Nov 22, 7:55am
How did this go from a guy not knowing what a rack end joint is, to being told the WOF inspector prob doesn't know what he's doing.
Are you saying that the owner that didnt know what a rack end is may be better qualified to decide whether its worn or not, and are you suggesting he should have his steering rack rebuilt just for the sake of it!

jmma, Nov 22, 7:55am
I like it, that tool does most jobs (o:

mm12345, Nov 22, 8:31am
Are you really suggesting that's what I suggested!

mellisa2000, Nov 22, 9:23am

ginga4lyfe, Nov 22, 9:40am
I just call it the "rack end" some are a pita to do, iv done a few so far the worst being a mitsi legnum vr4, but only because i coulnt get my 32mm spanner in to loosen the rack end. otherwise, they are quite straight forward to do, Take wheel off, hard lock to one side to push the rack endout as far as possible, pop off the tie rod end, clip off the steering rack boots band ties, remove the tie rod end from the rack end, slip off the boot, knock back the tags that stop the rack end from loosening, then loosen and remove the rack end, install new one install boot, install tie rod ( new one preferably ) then reconnect tie rod to hub, and put wheel back on, simple as, just a little annoying at times ( but you WILL need to get a wheel alignment! )

bopbargains, Nov 22, 5:43pm
yes. really

mugenb20b, Nov 23, 6:44am
Tie rod end and locking nut off. Rack boot off. Unlock the locking tab on the square end (it's usually square) of the inner rack end. Unbolt the inner rack end (you might need a 12 inch crescent spanner to do this). Put locktite on the thread of the new rack end, and reassemble in reverse order.