Converting van into camper

Page 1 / 2
haventrader, Nov 22, 10:21am
I want to convert a Mitsubishi L300 van into a camper. I want to fit a lift or pop top roof, but have no idea where to find one. Any advice , or maybe you want to clear the garage of that pop top taking up space! Cheers

a.woodrow, Nov 22, 9:54pm
It's quite a bit of work to do this, have you already bought a van! probably much easier to get one that has already had this done and refurbish it inside

thejazzpianoma, Nov 22, 10:16pm
+1
Personally I would avoid the Mitsubishi all together. If you are patient you can often pick up a Fiat Ducato or similar already with the high roof thats more economical and bigger inside for $5000 - $6000. Its not likely to be any dearer in the long runand will be worth considerably more when you finish it.

Best of luck!

elect70, Nov 23, 1:03am
Structural integrity with roof chopped out !probably cost afortune toreinforce & get it certified

jono2912, Nov 23, 1:49am
Agreeing with Jazz here. I really like the Fiat Ducato for camper conversions.

haventrader, Nov 23, 8:11am
Thanks guys. Have not bought a van yet- the Mitsi I had my eye on, I took back after a test drive and realised it would cost too much to get sorted. Now considering a previously convertedToyota. Take your comments on board Jazz and Jono. Cheers

thejazzpianoma, Nov 23, 8:15am
haventrader, Euro vans are where its at for camper vans,especially if you can get a common rail diesel. You just have so much more space, they are heaps safer, resale is better, they are more economical, just as reliable and more powerful.
I think you need to drive one so you can understand the goodness first hand. Best of luck with it, campervanning is a heap of fun, as is converting the van in the first place.

rojill, Nov 23, 8:23am
Suggest you also have a look at the NZMCA website for info and advice.

Self containment is now a given and this page will flesh out some of the details for you.
www.nzmca.org.nz is an interactive web site. The page ref. self containment is athttp://www.nzmca.org.nz/self-containment/

craig04, Nov 23, 8:23am
jazz, how old are you!

gadgetman, Nov 23, 8:35am
Bruce at Sunshine Motorhomes in Mount Maunganui can build a fibreglass poptop roof. They are on Hewletts Road next to plumbing place.
His design is low profile and fully certified. Structural integrity is not a problem as the roof is chopped off behind drivers seat and the hole re-inforced to comply with regulations.

paull, Nov 23, 10:30pm
vans are to small and get to hot,, better going up a step and getting the next size

thejazzpianoma, Nov 23, 10:57pm
LOL, older than my years. I got my first campervan (which I still have) at age 21.

gadgetman, Nov 23, 11:57pm
Good insulation and roof vent are the solution. The smallness could be a problem but on a small van you tend to spend more time outdoors. Look at the "Spaceships" those backpackers are traveling with. Not much space but cooking is done standing outside.
The choice of the size of the van determines your van camping lifestyle. With a smaller van you can go to the scenic riverside spots which do not allow bigger motorhomes.
My old Hiace was a short wheelbase so I could turn it on the width of the narrow bush road. Reversing downhill in one place was not an option. Now I tend to be more conservative where I drive my MB Sprinter into.

craig04, Nov 24, 3:39am
and how long ago was that!

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 3:41am
Take a guess, I am curious as to how old/young I come accross. then I will tell you.

I will give you a clue. My first car was a 1932 Austin 10/4 (oldest one in the country and possibly oldest surviving in the world if its still going, engine numer 399 Chassis 401)

So either I am old or I got into working old cars young.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 3:47am
For what its worth, my campervan is the same as this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2093/1792048771_0418424a63.jpg

Its effectively just had the one owner before me, currently as 30'000 miles on the clock.

craig04, Nov 24, 3:53am
I'm going with late 30's early 40's.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 4:12am
32 next month.
At least you did better than carstauranga, he was expecting some real old fart, he looked a bit confused when I introduced myself in person.

craig04, Nov 24, 4:33am
I've got milestone birthday next month too. :(

fordkiwi27, Nov 24, 4:37am
fark i was thinking 50-55

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 4:43am
30!
I would have actually just put you at my age or afraction older. I suppose 40 is possible!

craig04, Nov 24, 4:55am
40. I should make the most of my last two weeks in my 30's. I might buy myself a knee rug, rocking chair and a Punto.

gadgetman, Nov 24, 5:57am
Asking a man over 30 his age is as rude as asking a woman her weight.
What bugs me is the fact that women do not need to show their weight on dating sites and men need to tell their age.
So I am not having much luck on dating sites. On real life I look much younger than my pasport says. But what has this have to do with converting a van!

thejazzpianoma, Nov 24, 6:20am
Well it helps sort whether you will be requiring more than an impressive stereo and a bed in the fitout for starters.

craig04, Nov 24, 6:23am
Nothing. I'm sorry to have annoyed you. No more from me.