Help in buying a unregistered, unwarranted van

coffeeone, Feb 5, 8:44pm
Does this sound like a really bad setup for a purchase.

I thinking of buying a van, its unregistered and un-warranted and the owner left the country a year ago because of no work visa. Can't locate original owner but friend allowed to sell on behalf.

Vans been unreged expired 1 year and COF expired 6 months ago.

So first question: Can a vehicle be sold on behalf without owner signature!
(have checked that it not reported stolen)

2.Is there any clause so I don't have to pay back 12 months registration from abandoned vehicle.
3. How do I know if there are any unpaid fines on this van and would I be
liable to pay these if the vehicle if I bought it !

Sorry if some of this is obvious but I've never had this situation before and it does seem to have to many question marks.

Any experienced insights would be appreciated. Thanks

coffeeone, Feb 5, 8:44pm
Does this sound like a really bad setup for a purchase.

I was interested in buying a van, its unregistered and un-warranted and the owner left the country a year ago because of no work visa. Can't locate original owner but friend allowed to sell on behalf.

Vans been unreged expired 1 year and COF expired 6 months ago.

So first question: Can a vehicle be sold on behalf without owner signature!
(have checked that it not reported stolen)

2.Is there any clause so I don't have to back pay 12 months registration from abandoned vehicle. I've checked online and its still active (not on hold) through car jam.
3. How do I know if there are any unpaid fines on this van and would I be
liable to pay these if the vehicle if I bought it !

Sorry if some of this is obvious but I've never had this situation before and it does seem to have to many question marks.

Any experienced insights would be appreciated. Thanks

liggy2, Feb 5, 8:48pm
I would check with LTA - it may be reported stolen if you sell it.

coffeeone, Feb 5, 8:50pm
I've checked with NZ police site and carjam and its not reported stolen.

bitsy_boffin, Feb 5, 8:53pm
Anybody can take "ownership" of any vehicle, all you need is a credit card, a drivers licence, the number plate, and a computer to go to www.nzta.govt.nz, the old owner does not need to do anything.

When you take ownership the previous owner gets sent a bill for the outstanding vehicle licensing, you only pay from when you change the ownership.

You are not liable for fines from before the change of ownership, fines are levied to people not vehicles.

cheviot, Feb 5, 8:54pm
If you buy it, you're only liable for rego cost from the day you change the ownership. You can't relicense it without a wof or cof and will have to put it on hold.

coffeeone, Feb 5, 8:59pm
Is there a chance though that the sellers friend (owner) was to come back to the country assuming this is correct, and get the vehicle even though I've paid for to the seller which I assume the are keepingthe money and the original owner reclaim it and I'll be out of pocket!

coffeeone, Feb 5, 8:59pm
Is there a chance though that the sellers friend (owner) was to come back to the country assuming this is correct, and can get the vehicle back even though I've paid for it to the seller. I assume they are keepingthe money for themselves. So if he reclaims it making me out of pocket and no van at any stage in the future.

rus_the_dallas, Feb 5, 9:03pm
Vehicle licensing is only payable from the day you transfer ownership, so no need to pay backdated licensing. However if the vehicle registration has lapsed you will need to get the vehicle put back into the system, which depending on what you need to do to comply can cost from $400 to $1000

coffeeone, Feb 5, 9:16pm
Thanks for the replies everyone.These things I never knew :)

bopbargains, Feb 5, 10:17pm
if it'sa diesel, the new owner isheld liable for any outstanding RUC.

msigg, Feb 5, 10:42pm
Just buy it, it sounds cheap anyway. Get a declaration signed by interested parties and maybe re-register it anyway.

franc123, Feb 6, 9:15am
Not much to add to the above, you need to move fast if, if the NZTA axe is about to fall on that registration, ie its been nearly a year since it was last licenced, you need to be getting it changed into your name pronto, you are going to be up for a heap more costs if it lapses. Don't worry about the old licence fees or fines, they don't affect you BUT any RUC's will so be certain of this before doing the change