Putting an auto into netural

Page 2 / 3
bigfatmat1, Jan 19, 8:32am
It will stop ya brakes overheatingwhen ya stopped.

bigfatmat1, Jan 19, 8:34am
FFS its common logic that brakes wear out due to stationary contact.Wear or heat has nothing to do with friction physics 101

shyann2, Jan 19, 8:41am
Some of you guys need a slap lol i think il go put a message in parenting just to tell all the females to have a look at this thread lmao
some of us females own v8s & ive never rear ended anyone & love seeing the looks on boyracers faces when i leave them sitting at the lights or intersection lol

bigfatmat1, Jan 19, 8:52am
I'm a female and my V8 is so fast.

tuttyclan, Jan 19, 8:52am
Its an automatic for a reason as in leave it in drive at lights ,dont use handbrake thats what the footbrakes for,handbrake is for parking and when your not in the car.Of course if your stopping for more than a couple of minutes ie Kopu bridge or dairy then by all means pop it in park and apply handbrake.

iginoi, Jan 19, 9:01am
OMG please PLEASE read the thread first: 'depending on torque' - I'll slow it down a bit: a high output engine idling., in one of the DRIVE gears., with the brake on., WILL cause a rocking motion., loading up suspension components.,i.e. ball-joints, rose-joints, ladder bushes., e.t.c.

p.s. The quoted paragraph above should read '.from AN engine at idle speed.' and '.in AND out of neutral.'

Maybe a bit of fatigue causing some 'word recognition and their proper use' problems :)

pandai, Jan 19, 9:04am
Eh! Rocking motion!

shortkiwiboy, Jan 19, 9:09am
I think hes an english teacher riding a rocking horse !

bigfatmat1, Jan 19, 9:12am
I have never seen a car rocking in drive with foot on the brake. Must only be on a 'high output engine' with a powerful idle

iginoi, Jan 19, 9:15am
Check out 'Brett Stephens racing burnout ute in action' on youtube

iginoi, Jan 19, 9:17am
As above

iginoi, Jan 19, 9:17am
Lol as above. Nice!

bigjerry, Jan 19, 9:29am
After a read of this thread so far, i have concluded that its cool to sit in neutral, or drive, aslong as your foots on the brake. your brakes will wear out regardless of the wheel moving or not, a honda with a 'high power' engine will rock back in forth if you pretend your parked in front of a xmas tree with a high stall converter. The biggest risk is being a woman and smashing into the car in front, thus wearing out the bumper more than the auto.

elect70, Jan 20, 3:34am
Well a trans repairer i used to help out said that in drive& stationarythe trans is loaded butslipping& there by wearing the disc fibres , he diddealer jap imports & all had the1-2 fibresburnt. Thats why he said if buying auto, smell the fluid ,ifit has a burnt smell walk away .

mechnificent, Jan 20, 4:43am
Ifix transmissions and your friend was wrong Elect. once the gear is selected the clutches are locked up and the torque converter is the only thing "slipping".

There is a slight load on the motor in gear and stationary, and there is a slight(very lsight), wearing of the clutches when you engage a gear. Overall it's a toss up that is best decided by how long you think you are going to be stationary.

For what my opinion is worth, I think the best reason to move to neutral at the lights or stop sign is to prevent accidentaly creeping forward without noticing.

kevymtnz, Jan 20, 4:48am
do manual drivers leave their foot on the clutch in 1st the whole red phase! i dont
i engage 1st just as lights are going to green
as for auto in hot temps it pays to take it out of drive but once bk in dont gas it till is well engaged otherwise i mainly leave it in D

superdave0_13, Jan 20, 5:06am
I've never got a holeshot on anyone before. When I'm stopping at the lights I put my pie down, select neutral, apply handbrake, turn off accessories, turn off ignition, take keys out of the ignition and take seatbelt off and pick my pie back up.

You would be amazed at how quickly you can do the above in reverse with 5 or 6 cars behind you with horns ablazing!

winpp, Jan 20, 5:18am
Yee hah.
More uneducated idiots view on how things work.
(Quietly chuckles)

mechnificent, Jan 20, 5:44am
So enlighten us.

ema1, Jan 20, 9:47pm
Perhaps he doesn't have any idea of what he/she is laughing at.could be a nervous disposition and laughs at all things !

hamishcookie, Jan 20, 9:58pm
I leave my mont in drive at the lights and anytime stopped unless grid locked, the wear on brakes if the wheels are not turning would be minimal if anything surely, get a block of wood put it on some sand paper and put pressure on the wood but not enough to overcome the force of friction and see how long it takes to sand the bit of wood, you will be there for quite some time.

I always understood it was better for the trans to be in drive with a constant pressure rather than turning the "taps" on and off all the time, same reason why on a steep hill you change out of top gear to stop it changing gear all the time.

toominator_phil, Jan 21, 2:21am
Now. that would surely cause unnecessary tyre wear and fuel consumption. Not to mention the wastage of potential energy into unrealised energy

wrong2, Jan 21, 2:41am
autos wear out their clutches when you sit on the brakes

they clog up with clutch soot

cuda.340, Jan 21, 9:30pm
i guess your name says it all.
my TF727 has to be in 1st when stationary due to a manual VB. with loads of torque it leaves most others at the line when the light changes & if my brakes are wearing out while i'm stopped it'll be so minimal i'd doubt i'd even notice.

big.b-lil.c, Jan 21, 9:44pm
the car you were "raceing" most likley didnt know it was a race even after thay over took your mums honda