Timing belt replacement cost

tigadee, Oct 3, 1:47am
I've got a 1994 Ford Telstar TX5 with 190,000+ Kms. A mechanic I just took the car to says it's still running on the original timing belt and that needs to be replaced.

$290 +GST is what he quoted. Is that reasonable! How do I know it's not actually the 2nd belt already and he's just scamming me!

thunderbolt, Oct 3, 1:59am
The car is due for a second belt by milage, and way overdue for a second belt on time, assuming it was done at 100km and around 8-10 yrs ago.
Sound cheap really, at that mileage it would probably need all tensioners & idlers, seals and a water pump as well.

scotty20001, Oct 3, 2:01am
290 is cheap but make sure you do the water pump at that millage as well, thats pretty incredible in its self that its running on the original belt.

fordkiwi27, Oct 3, 2:01am
why would you thing hes scamming you! good lord

lanks5, Oct 3, 6:25am
get it done tomorrow before it snaps and then your whole car won't be worth $290.

franc123, Oct 3, 6:42am
Even if it was the second belt its still due to be changed, assuming it was fitted on or around 100k.That price sounds a bit cheap IMO, especially if its a V6, check that the water pump and idlers/tensioners are included in that price, it would also be desirable to change the cam and crank seals as well.

crzyhrse, Oct 3, 6:48am
Because all mechanics are crooks didn't you know!

mugenb20b, Dec 6, 2:49pm
Don't do it. He's scamming you for sure. Just take a risk and see what happens. She'll be right I reckon.