Changing antifreeze on 2005 xr6

casper35, Jan 23, 1:15am
I am thinking of doing this myself is there any problems i might encounter.

paul271, Jan 23, 2:12am
Best way to do it is remove a heater hose, run the garden hose to it and flush it through both ends of the hose. also remove the overflow cap and allow water to come out of there too. then drop the water in the radiator out of it by removing the lower hose. Refill with a good quality coolant and water mix, then run it up to check for leaks, with the heater on to remove any air from heater matrix. Allow to cool and recheck levels and for leaks, and your done.

bitsy_boffin, Jan 23, 2:23am
Remember to dispose of the coolant responsibly.

Bad bad stuff, don't leave it lying around, don't pour it down storm water.

You shouldn't really even put it down the sewer, but better than nothing (unless you're on a tank!).

casper35, Jan 23, 2:26am
Thanks for that paul271 that was very helpful. Cheers.

paul271, Jan 23, 2:35am
No worries, as BB says, dont let the old antifreeze lie around, best to do it on your lawn I would guess. Watch pets too, they love to drink it coz its sweet, but will do them a world of harm if they swallow the stuff!

carkitter, Jan 23, 2:42am
Being in the South Island, I'm sure you know to use a coolant that has anti-freeze properties. I bought 5L of corrosion inhibiting coolant from Kmart for only $5.00 just recently, but as I live in Auckland and don't go skiing, anti-freeze is not required by me.

paul271, Jan 23, 2:49am
The trouble with the cheaper coolants is that they can cause electrolysis in alluminium radiators and cylinder heads. I have seen new ali radiators leak after as little as 6 months because the coolant wasnt up to the job. Just pays to make sure that what you are using is compatible with your engine is all.

franc123, Jan 23, 3:09am
Even if you ran the maximum recommended amount of antifreeze/boil its not going to matter much if the pressure cap is rooted.Thats what determines the boiling point afterall.