NEW 322mm rotors and pads XR6 Turbo SQUEEEKING

bevharris1938, Oct 6, 7:20am
Just got some new rotors and pads installed. Shop assured me the pads wouldnt sqeeek. And guess what they do. The pads are mizura brand , the guy selling them rekons he has had no probs with them , my mechanic also rekons they are a good brand of pad , similar to bendiks compostion. IS THERE ANYTHING WE CAN DO BESIDES REPLACE THE PADS !

pettal, Oct 6, 7:51am
a couple ofemergancy stops both if forward and reverse will wear the high spots off andbead them in .

neo_psy, Oct 6, 7:53am
How new! Brand new!
Maybe a few hundred KM will bed them in.

EDIT: Pettal's idea might work.

bevharris1938, Oct 6, 8:02am
2 days new

NZTools, Oct 6, 8:06am
As above. A bit of "spirited driving" to bed them in.

snoopy221, Oct 6, 8:09am
Pull them out and FIT them PROPERLY.
I.E.
coat the backs of em with high temp silicon.
tis not the padssquealing-but the INCORRECT fitting of the pads allowing **harmonic vibrations** to resonate.

rEtyre, Oct 6, 8:22am
I've found thata light coating of copperkote on all steel parts that rub together, ie, back of pads and the locating tangs on pads prevents any squeeliing. Pads fitted dry always cause squeeling, especially on newly machined rotors.

unbeatabull, Oct 6, 8:25am
Pretty common on Falcons, Copperkote or use High Pressure grease on contact points on the pad where it sits in the caliper - on Falcons the top and bottom of the pad, and spray a Anti-Squeak or High Temp Silicon compound on the backs of them - CRC do a really good Anti-Squeak spray, red in colour, works wanders.

Also make sure the rattle shims are still fitted too. What brand rotors!

mugenb20b, Oct 6, 9:05am
Far out you guys, I've never lubed or glued any brake pad component in my life. Never had a car with squeaky brakes as a result.touch wood.

rEtyre, Oct 6, 9:08am
Guess none of us know what we are talking about then.

mellisa2000, Oct 6, 10:42am
I'm with you Mugen.
The factory doesn't do it, why in all my wisdom should I think to do so! I haven't spent 500m to work it all out.

snoopy221, Oct 6, 10:46am
Gor blimey so it's mugen20b and mellisa2000 that have been removing all the factory anti squeal.(Harmonic Vibration reducing) shims.
So tell us do you enclose the piston with the pad as well!
Ya know do a FULL redesign of the features of the system to reduce harmonic vibrations!

pollymay, Oct 6, 11:10am
Bed the back brakes in with a skid

bubbles244, Oct 6, 7:20pm
yep. no grease or silicon etc. the main reason for brake squeal is clips rubbing on the new rotors, new pads not bedded in and if they are performance brakes which they should be on a an xr6 turbo they are not producing enough heat due to the compounds used in brake shoes designed for high temperature applications.

bevharris1938, Oct 6, 8:05pm
Thanks for the info guys , my mechanic did tell me he couldnt put the backing shims on the new pads as the old ones were riveted to the old pads.

pandai, Oct 6, 8:29pm
Bingo

There's why!

(Maybe genuine pads next time!)

kiwicon, Oct 6, 9:06pm
when i change pads i give em a quick scuff on the concrete first - speeds up the bedding in process

mrfxit, Oct 6, 9:08pm
Easy to sort out,
Find a spare set of s/h shims in reasonable from another falcon or same size pads
Can't understand why the "mechanic" didn't think of that.

r15, Oct 6, 9:47pm
he probably didnt hoping that it wouldnt squeek, much easier that way

bevharris1938, Oct 18, 4:41am
UPDATE, brakes are A1 now , new bendex brake pads fitted , NO GREASE < NO BACKING SHIMS , NO SQEEKING , YAY !

johnf_456, Oct 18, 5:55am
Is motoring a spelling camp!

bevharris1938, Oct 18, 6:15am
Exactly what i was told , bed them in NICE , no hard braking.

ginga4lyfe, Oct 18, 7:39am
Yup, I alwaysbed the brakes in myself, all it takes is a few easy stops from 20 then 30 then 40 kmph before i hand the car over to the owners, and i tel them to "take it easy" and elongate stopping distances for the next 1000kmsso they bed in nice and dont glaze the disks

rob_man, Jan 2, 10:48am
Everywhere is a spelling camp, get used to it. Might as well get this out of the way too, it's squeak not squeek.
Edit; at least nobody's come up with 'there breaks'.