Holden Commodore SV6(New Shape) or Ford Falcon XR6

Page 1 / 4
radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 5:13am
Planning to upgrade the car. Our budget is $22k. Looked at Holden SV6 & Ford Falcon XR6. Holden SV6 (New Shape) looks good but interior is very basic, seats are not comfortable. Ford Falcon XR6 is a bit cheaper, very comfortable and great interior. Few friends suggested that Ford Falcon XR6 won't hold its re-sale value and is commonly used as taxi! Also, car dealers saying that price will increase after 1st Jan 2012. Your suggestions please!

gunhand, Dec 10, 5:19am
You have answered your own question really. Why have a car that you think has a cheap interior and uncomfortable seats. Thats what you will be doing when your driving, looking and sitting on and at it.
Personally I found the buildquaility of the new Holdens awfull and came up with 20 odd faults and poor finish items with a few minutes of working on one and that was a top spec SS. No doubt they go very well. Plus you have very poor veiw around the Holden and can not see where you are to park the bloody things, maybe ok if your 6 foot lol.

gunhand, Dec 10, 5:31am
Very nice looking car that. I just got a XR6 week back and find it very economical which surprised me a bit. Its every bit as cheap to run as the nissan I had if you keep drive senssably. Im by no means biased toward Ford or Holden and express my views with personal experinces. The first BA falcons seemed to have a few quality issues as well but go well enough.
And your not paying 100k plus for the car so some small quaility issues may not worry you that much.
My sister in law just had a VE brought for her by her husband and she hates it in many ways and finds reasons not to drive it.
Oh and the turbos go like a shower of shit it seems but may effect fuel economy but that is something I am not sure about.

franc123, Dec 10, 5:38am
Do people avoid Commodores because they are commonly used as Police cars, and taxi's for that matter!I think not.The answer here is to buy what you like the best.You might also want to quiz dealers about why they think that revised rules for Jap imports will affect the prices of second hand Aussie built cars, I don't see those that prefer Jap econoboxes suddenly wanting to upgrade to a car/engine twice the size just for the hell of it.

radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 5:50am
thanks frank123, i think this is one the tricks for car salesman to get the sale.

gunhand, Dec 10, 5:54am
The 2009 is the new shape FG obviously so will have slighty different trim and new body shape. As for other enhancements other will know. Plus its 5k dearer.
Dont know if the FG will go any better in the real world of driving but best bet is drive them both and choose. The good thing about slighty older cars is most faults have been sorted or the dealer will know what they are without having to spend expensive hours looking for the problem as they can do with new models.

mugenb20b, Dec 10, 5:57am
That's what I was going to say. Except, I was going to suggest something more bland, like a Camry or Maxima.

radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 5:59am
thanks thejazzpianoma, will take these cars for test drive very soon.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 10, 6:03am
Good on you for keeping an open mind. Give me a hollar if you need to know more about any of them, we have had a few in the family and are big fans.
Happy shopping!

radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 6:05am
Thanks, will do :-)

kingfisher21, Dec 10, 6:22am
FG is light years ahead of the BA-BF platform, very very nice cars to drive, if you can go the bit extra get a FG, make sure it has the 6 speed auto though.

radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 6:26am
Thanks kingfisher21, we are looking for FG model.

radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 6:28am
Which one is the best model in Ford XR6 ! We found FG is the best one so far

franc123, Dec 10, 6:34am
Was going to add that if interior comfort and spec is an issue, remember that the SV6 and XR6 are sports variants, consider looking at the more luxury orientated versions like G6 or Calais, they will have softer seats and more gadgets if thats what you are after.

radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 6:37am
We did look a calasis, it was out of our budget. To tell you the truth, all models of holden we drove were not very comfortable and interior was nowhere near Ford Falcon XR6.

radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 6:48am
Thanks, looks very tempting. Will see if i could test drive this one.

ntalke, Dec 10, 6:52am
Owned a BF Turbo 4 years

Driven a SV6 500km,bad things jail cell rear window as rear view is severely restricted,white numeralson light grey background on instruments and old style interior and uncomfortable seating

But drives and looks alright but would say even the BF is better and the FG is better again

radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 6:55am
ntalke wrote:
Owned a BF Turbo 4 years

Driven a SV6 500km,bad things jail cell rear window as rear view is severely restricted,white numeralson light grey background on instruments and old style interior and uncomfortable seating

But drives and looks alright

Thanks ntalke, i experienced the same problems while test driving SV6.

thunderbolt, Dec 10, 7:46am
All FG XR6 had the ZF 6 speed. They are due a trans oil change at 90k. Make sure it has been done if you buy ex lease. Cost about $500 thru ford.
Great cars.
First came out mid 08, I have had a July 08 build since new, now done 110km and had no issues.

vtecintegra, Dec 10, 8:11am
Interesting to hear your thoughts on the interiors - IMO they're both as pretty bad in that regard.

brokebloke1, Dec 10, 8:38am
my personal opinon is you get more car for money with the XR6, commodore looks cheap and nasty now ( VE ) earlier models VY-VZ look much better and better build quality.

radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 8:43am
Thanks brokebloke1

radha_giridhari, Dec 10, 8:44am
Thanks thunderbolt, will do the oil change straight after purchase.

brokebloke1, Dec 10, 8:49am
be prepare to be shocked as the oil filter is built into the pan, cost a good mate of mine $1000 for a oil change on his transmission thru a ford dealership , as you have to use special "ford" trans fluid, he rang 3 different places and none of the transmisson places would touch the carcause of the trouble with getting the oil and pan filter.

thunderbolt, Dec 10, 8:57am
Mine was done at 90 thru a ford dealer, cost about $500.