Anyone own an Alfa Romeo

Page 2 / 2
sw20, Jan 23, 8:19am
I had a 75 about ten years ago that was the same green as the 156 I posted above. Nice colour.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 23, 8:48am
Well good luck with it all hydroman, if that one dosn't turn out there are plenty coming and going on trademe. That said I hope its a goody and you can get it for a sharp price.

The Alfa Club might be worthwhile looking into as well. Very friendly bunch of helpful fun people. Local groups do regular casual get togethers, they have a great wee magazine and are usually very helpful with advice.

If you do join up you might even meet us in our spider one day on a club run.

tigra, Jan 23, 8:57am
keep your eye on the Airbag light. Known to come on and stay on. Often its an issue with th wiring under the seat but it needs to go on the diagnostic to sort it out properly

hydroman08, Jan 23, 7:21pm
Thanks Jazz, the car looks to be in excellent condition.Current owners have taken excellent care, kept servicing and maintenance up to date.The car is completely standard, and looks as though it has just come from the factory - not even marks on the wheels!

All electrics are fine, and airbag light is off.Just got a new wof.

You have scared me with the cambelt thought!

trogedon, Jan 23, 7:33pm
Unfortunately you ruined your grammatical cred with this sentence.

hydroman08, Jan 23, 7:47pm
Sorry Trog, I hadn't had my afternoon coffee at that stage.I promise to be more diligent in the future :)

1fordluva, Jan 23, 7:50pm
Fixed for you troggy

thejazzpianoma, Jan 26, 5:44pm
Didn't mean to scare you on the cambelt front, just wanted to make sure you knew the score so you didn't spend your last dollar and then discover you needed to spend another 2K+ on the cambelt.

Now with that in mind, may I suggest you just factor it into your price negotiation. Once the cambelt is changed the first time it becomes a non-issue really as compared to anything else if you have bought it right the $500 a year you need to put aside for cambelts, is going to be better than the difference in depreciation on any other similar performance/prestige machine. which could still cost you half that in cambelts anyway!

Also. I did some checking on the cambelt intervals in case my memory was incorrect. It seems that the 4 Cylender ones have the 60K changes (not all engines like I thought) also the 4 cylender cars have only a 3 year interval as well.

The V6 like you are looking at actually still has a 100K interval BUT its still 5 years and the consensus amongst those really in the know is to actually do them at 4 years. So sorry no reprieve despite my being inaccurate (which I apologise for!)

This link may clarify http://www.proalfa.com/pricing/timing-belts.html

Also. once you do it properly the firs time (tensioners, waterpump etc) if you are really just doing low weekend km's you could likely just do a cambelt only change at a fraction of the cost next time. Given the km intervals etc.