Hilux motor

vornyk, Dec 2, 4:43am
oh wise men of this forum, am after abit of handy info regarding a 1994 2.8 diesel engine. My one has shot itself and am looking at option's, buy a 2nd hand motor, or recond motor, or get my motor overhauled! what do you think! if I purchase another motor, is it a struggle to put say a 2000 model 3ltr turbo or something similiar straight in or too much pissing around! or just stick with the 2.8!She does alot of mission's in the bush so i would rather reliable over speed! thanks for any info or help anyone can give!

mugenb20b, Dec 2, 4:51am
If you are tight on cash, get a second hand donk, but I don't recommend it. Any 'L' series engine is a heavy, gutless, old technology cast iron lump, but you can get power upgrade chips for 3L-E and 5L-E motors. You can fit turbos as well. If you are after a powerful diesel, you want a 1KZ-TE with an intercooler out of a later model Hilux Surf or Prado. It won't be too much of a hassle fitting it, but will take more time than a straight swap. My suggestion is to stick with what you've got, ie. buy a reconditioned unit + new radiator + service your pump and injectors.

mugenb20b, Dec 2, 4:52am
I forgot to mention that 1KZ-TE motors crack heads.like any Toyota diesel.

dozerman, Dec 2, 6:15am
have a 3l that i will list soon thats had a full recon inc injectors & pump about 3k .7k spent then rolled

mugenb20b, Dec 2, 6:22am
That's a good deal.

vornyk, Dec 2, 6:41am
cheer's boy's,awesome!dozerman, let me know when you put it up, or flick me a text or a call and we'll yarn,0 two 1 two 4 two zero 705, might save you from putting it up, can email me at vaughan1komkene at the hotplace dot com if you want aswell

mellisa2000, Dec 2, 10:48am
Go for that. Easy turbo if you need to, put t turbo from 2.4 turbo in it.Yes, cert required, but who knew!

monzaman, Dec 2, 11:04am
Don't let them overheat and they last,I have non turbo 5L in my '98 jumbo hiace with good coolant level sensor and at 225ks with K&N filterand 4.1 diff still goes great.

mugenb20b, Dec 2, 6:34pm
One of our clients has one too, 901 000 kms, still going great, but all the doors are falling off.

muzz67, Dec 2, 7:06pm
Intercooled ones don't crack heads tho. Why is that!

mrfxit, Dec 2, 7:15pm
Head temps are a little lower due to cooler air flows

They can still crack them in the wrong situations

r15, Dec 2, 7:21pm
None of them crack heads unless overheated. Just most people think they havnt over heated. Intercooled ones are less prone but still will.

Clear cooling system and a PROPERLY WORKING viscous fan vital.

Usually one or both of these are the issue. And often people just blame the engine design, then replace the head then blow it up again because the problem will still exist.

Go for a drive up a hill in a new navara on a hot day and you will hear a great example of how much the fan should be going on a similar weight vehicle. If you can't hear it roaring under power with the windows up on a long hill then it ain't working

studio1, Dec 3, 12:41am
+1
The other reason that Toyota diesels crack heads (especially the turbo engines) is due to restrictive exhausts.
Take the stock exhaust off and fit a good 2 1/2 or 3 inch exhaust and you'll never crack another head again (as long as you maintain the cooling system properly).