93 Hilux Dash problems. No speedo/indicator/gauges

james7891, Jan 11, 6:23pm
93 Deisel. No speedo (used to die occassionally, then kick back into life) or gauges. Headlights and dashlights still work, indicators work when hazard light button pressed. Battery light works, and stays on, but thats because my alternator shat itself, which hasnt been a problem, i just charge it and its good for a week or so. Odometer stoped working too. Checked every fuse/relay and pretty much every single plug. Cleaned and crc'd. It's got me stumped. Any ideas!

alan1111, Jan 11, 6:25pm
You know what the problem is now fix it. You said the altenator dont work and you just recharge it. Fix your alternator and you fix the dash problem.

james7891, Jan 11, 6:37pm
Actually its been driven for a month or so with a crook alternator and it never affected any dash function save for the charging light staying on. As long as it has sufficient battery power to to start and run the engine/electrics (which it has had/does have) I fail to see how it not charging can affect some things and not others. i.e the indicators dont work but the haz lights do.

pup2, Jan 11, 6:43pm
Might have dropped an earth. Either open circuit on the dash, plug into dash or in the loom. Have had the same problem with one in the workshop and it was the earth

james7891, Jan 11, 6:47pm
Yep thats what im thinking too pup.im just running out of plugs and earths to check =) Im already shoulders deep in dashboard. Oh well.keep digging I guess.I'll get there.

pup2, Jan 12, 1:44am
Try adding a good earth direct to the circuit board. If it works, sweet.

james7891, Jan 12, 2:39am
All sorted, after checking/cleaning/wiggling every plug/fuse and earth i gave up and started putting the dash back in.then i here click click click.indicator going =) No idea what i did.but its its all back to normal. Mint.