End of cheap cars

Page 1 / 4
noodle34, Dec 2, 5:30am

casper35, Dec 2, 5:52am
bit of a shame really they will be to expensive for most people.

ninja_man, Dec 2, 7:40am
bugger.

kazbanz, Dec 2, 7:43am
I suspect its gonna be about four months before the public really notice it

trogedon, Dec 2, 7:48am
Yep. A ruse to prop up the new car sellers. There is very little about safety in the move and nothing about Ecological issues.

stevo2, Dec 2, 8:06am
I cant see why they dont just have a rolling 10 year old(or similar) restriction rather than all these big jumps from one year to another

singing1, Dec 2, 8:07am
Rules rules friggen rules.when are kiwis going to say F**K you to all these bullshit cant do this and cant do that bloody rules.Pheeew

horsepower7, Dec 2, 8:17am
yup it sux, we just imported 200 cars to stock up! now we going crazy trying to get them all yad ready haha. gana be major changes i think! alot of yards will close too i reckon. dumb rules!

stevexc, Dec 2, 8:30am
This happens every few years.The car yards always make a big deal about it but it's always turned out to be a big deal over nothing.

Not that I agree with the rules, I don't like any post 2000 car :(

rob_man, Dec 2, 8:35am
Same, looks like it's time to start rebuilding some of the older fleet.
Bring it.

horsepower7, Dec 2, 8:37am
yea but all the cars that are popular and that we sell, are not going to be availible anymore so it is a big deal to us. we will have to get brand new stock that most people cannot afford. and the cars that people want are going to be more expensive for them to buy.

rob_man, Dec 2, 8:42am
I wonder if when people find their needs aren't being met, they'll be able to drop some of their needs.

horsepower7, Dec 2, 8:45am
dunno but the cars will keep their value for a while. will soon find out what happens haha

ninja_man, Dec 2, 8:55am

qugene, Dec 2, 8:57am
Bull poos, its 2012 in a few weeks, people will just hold on to their cars for a year or two longer if they cannot afford to buy a new one and suddenly its 2015, then a 2005 car is ten yrs old and we all know you can pick up a decent ten yr old car for under 10k. So all up, car sales yards will have no buyers if their cars are over priced/too expensive between now and 2015.

wellabolla, Dec 2, 9:05am
Pretty sure its to do with Emission laws and maybe side impact laws.thanks to Uncle Helen.the greens will love that.

murph2068594, Dec 2, 9:05am
Yep, we're copying every rule or law they enforce over in aussie. and us kiwis don't say a word.
Another "rule" for us is in March 2012 when we change the "Give Way Rule". i so can't wait for that one!

horsepower7, Dec 2, 9:08am
well as long as im not out of a job, they can do what they like haha!

mspec, Dec 2, 9:08am
Was it about 4 years ago the 2001 rule came in.! 2001 + 4 is 2005!

kazbanz, Dec 2, 10:25am
Hmm-well 3 out of10 car yards in my subburb have closed down.

Guys the thing Is that I agree totally with increasing the safety of the cars.
Believe it or not I also believe in trying to decrease emissions.
But the way this particular law change is structered us utterbull pucky.
In my yard at the moment I have 2 sets of three all but identical cars.
In both cases -so three cars One year 2000 one year 2002 and one year 2004./2005
Now in both cases the 2004/2005 is 3 didget emmission coded. YET every component involved in emissions (engine exhaust ecu injectors etc)is interchangable with the earlier models. AND the actual emissions are identical. (yep I've tested them)
So on that basis I feel its a sham
Now if it turns out that grandfathering is allowedthen the impact on the public will be greatly reduced and common sense would prevail

friendly_prawn, Dec 2, 10:32am
went to a car dealership in Wairau road the other day. They had that many cars there was no where to park. Out the back of their business there was a lane, and both sides of that lane were choker with cars.I had no choice but to park in the middle of their drive. One of the salesmen reckoned they were stocking up on cars as were most car dealers before this rule come in to act. Just thought being a car dealer you might find that interesting.

friendly_prawn, Dec 2, 10:34am
because every time we march as in with the motor bike rego hikes, as in the anti smacking referendum, John Key still gave us all the two finger salute and told us all to get stuffed. So what can you do!

mellisa2000, Dec 2, 10:56am
Agreed with most above. Crock. Just another lame BS reason for dealers to "pretend to care" about the environment/emissions etc/
BS.

michael.benn, Dec 2, 11:33am
Agree, sick of the nanny state bs that this country keeps coming up with.

moosie_21, Dec 2, 9:18pm
As usual, a one-sided view of the news. If the price of all cars rises substantially, how is anyone going to afford them, especially those on lower incomes that can hardly afford one now! If a whole section of the market is priced out of it, there are going to be a lot of companies going bust. I see (maybe) a rapid climb in prices because of this "fear", and then a rapid fall again when the market decides the new prices are unaffordable and thereby brings them back to a normal level again. If anything, it will bring in a lot more newer cars in the future at the price of older cars now.