End of cheap cars

Page 2 / 4
the-lada-dude, Dec 2, 9:26pm
ahhh, with the stroke of a pen
and the pen is mightier than the sword !
i'm sure it's that andy arsewipe fella that you see on the goggle box that causes all this strife, always telling us what's good for us, not only is he tainted mentally, but has a terribly irritating american accent, and i wish he would piss off back home and take his bloody indoctrinating grap voice with him, that would just be (as the yanks say ) awesumme .

mrfxit, Dec 2, 9:30pm
Been seeing the same effect with a lot of other business's.
Times get tough/ up go the prices/ damaged stock gets dumped instead of bargain bins & very shortly afterwards (sometimes a few months/ sometimes a year or 2) & the company closes.

jkm, Dec 2, 9:35pm
Hey you cant expect a Government Department to apply commom sense, they wouldnt know what it is. They need an arbitary line on a piece of paper!
Kiwis will have to lower their expectations for a while, there may be less choice and less value for money and it will affect the bottom line for some companies but we will survive.

richardmayes, Dec 2, 9:57pm
I will believe all this gloom & doom about the prices going up, when I see it.

The last time I looked around a used import yard, for about $10,000 to $12,000 you could get either a horrible little 1.3 litre tin shopping basket, OR a beautiful big V6 Skyline with electric leather seats etc etc. Both about 100,000kms and around 8 to 10 years old.

So I freely admit I have no idea what makes up the price of a freshly imported used car. But the car itself seems to have precious little to do with it.

pollymay, Dec 2, 10:07pm
My dad drive a 1966 ford galaxy, aerodynamics of a brick and the economy of a battleship. I drive a VN SS commodore, there is a 560sec merc in the garage. My mr2 has a V6 with straight pipes, the rx7 has a small block chev, the prelude is going to putting huge amounts of fuel through for the boost it'll be running.

You can feel how heavy the air is around where I frequent. To me it'll probably make next to no difference, there might be a small leap in prices for a while but I'm kinda at the point of accepting the standards at some point were going to change and we're flooded with imports anyway, even if I really disagree with how it's being done. As long as they don't keep creeping up the date and it holds this way for 7 years or more it'll be fine after things level. There is no shortage of crap cars in New Zealand, half of the stuff is overpriced as is, who pays 1500 for a clapped out corolla!

kazbanz, Dec 2, 10:34pm
Nahh you just don't get it.
Car prices are NOT rising. That is utterrubbish.
What is happening is that a big chunk of the current cars simply won't be available.
So the 2005 car say 6 months ago was $13995 will still be $13995
The Year 2000 car at $7995 won't go up either-It just wont be available.
Your point re cars dropping in price --How can that happen!
Margins are already forced down to sod all by the marrket.
So that $13995 car for example might cost us $12000. Leaving $2000 to rego the car and pay 15% gst on the proffitso $1500 profit roughly
From this we pay rent wages and cover any issues a customer might have. -If we don't then we are out of buisiness pretty fast.

Now what is being counted on is that2012 means6 year old cars but come reelection time in three years itll all be forgotten because we are back to 9 year old cars again

tortron, Dec 2, 10:35pm
i propose a blanket ban on anything produced after 1965
Slower is safer, and they have a negative carbon footprint at this point.
This will also prop up nz's economy through increased demand for skilled panelwork and mechanics, plus boost our popularity as a tourist destination.

Perhaps i should have run for parliament

gooddealz2, Dec 2, 10:57pm
tortron
I like that.We could become another Cuba.

amberjandal, Dec 2, 11:02pm
This is a Government directive and has nothing to do with dealers or new car importers. They will simply deal with what eventuates from this.

The reason car prices will go up is because there will be a shortage of supply once the "stocked up" import dealers sell their stock post January 2012. Supply and demand drives prices - not dealers or new car importers.

NZ had to get to this eventually, for years we have been dealing with Japanese Imports and from Jan 2012 we will be dealing a heap less in Jap imports , It had to happen as all we have really been doing is helping Japan keep their total fleet new while we deal in their unwanted old cars. Now we will have a market that supports NZ business , not Japans discards. will take a while but will be good in the long run.

amberjandal, Dec 2, 11:04pm
Its a government law , dealers luckily do not write law in NZ.

edangus, Dec 2, 11:27pm
Meh. I remember when you couldnae get finance on cars over 10 years old. What does that tell you!

carstauranga001, Dec 2, 11:34pm
You started off making some sense, then a whole lot of absolute bullshit came off the keyboard.

carstauranga001, Dec 2, 11:35pm
What he said.

wasser61, Dec 2, 11:39pm
Revenge is sweet. Only took 23 years but it is so nice to hear the used car dealers whining like a stuck record.

amberjandal, Dec 2, 11:44pm
Look at Australia , no imports aloud anless you want to pay a heap of tax , they have solid prices , a newer fleet than us and reputable franchise dealers , a wee bit different to NZ , thankfully that is where we are heading now.

kazbanz, Dec 2, 11:45pm
ROTFLMAO--ohh you poor fool you.You REALLY don't think that the new car industry had anything to do with the decision!
Have a look at the viterol being pushed out by new car industry rep-and all of itutter lies

kazbanz, Dec 2, 11:52pm
Yep except we don't have a new car industry to protect.
What we have is that ALL cars in New Zealand arte imports.Therefore ALL cars are propping up another countries economy.
The difference being that second hand cars have already taken the massive price drop in the hands of someone overseas.
But anyway you are ALL totally missing the point.
Which is that the justification for the law change is reducing emissions.
But there will be NO reduction in emissions.
a more sensible aproach would have been to name a number of parts per million an import can push out. -If its greater it fails If its less it passes.
But ALSO introduce that same test for vehicles currently in NZ.
Wouldn't it be fantastic if those smoke belching vehicles were finally retired!

kazbanz, Dec 2, 11:54pm
Ya know the iditic bit.! It ain't gonna affect me very much at all.
People are still gonna need cars when they break em or loose their company carsetc. But when they come to buy they are gonna need to find more money. The "I want a new car" buyers wont carebut the "I need a car" buyers are gonna suffer

amberjandal, Dec 3, 12:07am
You REALLY believe someone at Toyota or Holden or Ford or whoever has the ability to get the Government to change law.if they did it would be a scandal of epic proportions , the emmisions push is a global one , our government is following suit .

amberjandal, Dec 3, 12:09am
You are reading too much conspiracy thery stuff. then calling others fools.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 12:22am
Ohh REALLY--so using the example YOU quoted--australia. THEY have introduced this law effective 1.1.2012 then!Ohh no thats right they haven't. Has ANY OTHER COUNTRY ! why NO they Haven't
If the minister concerned really was genuinely concerned about reducing emissions then marsdon points diesel processing plant would be upgraded to produce the same quality of Diesel available elsewhere in the world. You of course are awarethat M point can only refine down to 50 microns where elsewhere in the world its basicly ZERO.
If the minister was genuinely concerned with emissions then uncle Helens big train set wouldn't be belching TONNES oftoxic fumes every day.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 12:23am
The decision can be INFLUENCED by interested parties. If you are naive enough to think otherwise you really have no clue at all.

gunhand, Dec 3, 12:38am
I was in a yard couple weekends ago and the dealer said, get in now as the price of this car will go up soon.I didnt.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 12:40am
I bet it wasn't the dealer--bet it was an overpushy salesman

gunhand, Dec 3, 12:43am
Well he was gunna knock a K off the car without asking lol and give me a stupid price (high) for my wreck without even seeing it.The car wasnt up to a standerd I would buy anyway. And it had the ford factory clunk in the suspension.yea.
Oh and he runs the place, one man band by the look of it.