Replacing a toyota corolla clutch. Is it worth it!

daryl37, Jan 26, 7:38am
We are looking at a cheap car for my flatmate. The seller wants $900 but the clutch feels like its on its last legs. How much is it to replace a clutch in a 1990 1300 manual hatch! She is a tourist and planning on travelling a lot in the car so need it to work well. Do you think it is worth buying the car and replacing the clutch if it does go!

falcon15, Jan 26, 7:40am
it really depends on the condition of the rest of the car

howz_that, Jan 26, 7:44am
would you be doing the work yourself!

shyann2, Jan 26, 11:21am
Yip i had an old wagon for years & it could sit for weeks & start not a problem. My daughter is hard on cars & she couldnt even break it lol

shyann2, Jan 26, 11:22am
Clutch might even just need adjusted.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 26, 10:47pm
No, you can do better. Clutch replacement if you are not doing it yourself will be very expensive. Even if doing it yourself you are going to a lot of trouble for no real benefit.

Better to get something that is all good to go so they can drive around NZ in confidence and not end up burning it out going up a South Island pass.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 8, 10:51pm
This is not the cheapest bargain for one of these but use it as a yard stick. This is all ready to go and these are stupidly reliable, economical and go very well even on long trips.

If you got it for $1200 or so it would be a great car for the purpose. (Heck even at $1500 its a better bet than the Corolla by the sounds of it)

BTW, parts for these are easily available and generally cheaper than Corolla bits. but you shouldn't really need anything other than oil filters etc.