Powered Scooter - Road or footpath!

leighfrancesca, Jan 29, 4:19am
Good evening all.Can anyone tell me what the rules in NZ are as far as riding a 49cc motorised scooter on the roads, footpath etc.Just to clarify not a moped type scooter, just one that you stand on.

Cheers

morrisman1, Jan 29, 4:21am
I dont care what the rules are but for the stretch of road between invercargill and otatara I urge scooterists to use the cycle lane. Its plain stupid driving on the road where there is no extra room and you are doing 50km/h while traffic wants to do 100km/h.

One day someone will get killed along there

kcf, Jan 29, 7:01pm
If you're describing what I think you are, then it can only be used on private land unless it meets all the requirements (lights, brakes, mirrors etc) to be a moped and is registered as such.

smac, Jan 29, 7:14pm
Check here for definition of both motor vehicle and mobility device: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1998/0110/latest/DLM433619.html#DLM433619

If you're covered there, and there is no gazetted exemption for your particular kind of vehicle, then as above, private land only.If you think there is a chance there is an exemption in place, call NZTA.

leighfrancesca, Jan 30, 2:39am
Thanks for the answers people, much appreciated.

clark20, Feb 18, 12:46pm
Would be the same for segways as well, do some posties use these!