Mercedes 2001 campervan!Tiptronic

plumba2nurse, Jan 30, 8:58am
Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with these!
We are looking at a tiptronic one - but feeling a bit iffy about the tiptronic thing - wondering if it is a first series tiptronic or not - and if they are any good. Dh likes a manual or auto instead normally - so are hesitating on this.
Any advice welcome!

intrade, Jan 30, 10:15pm
they will have all of the electronic on one rail meaning all signals pass thru the samerailwaistation= the ecu-computer and if something like a outside mirror has a short it can affect the engine management and put it in to limp mode. otherwise the tiptronic is a sequencial manual gearbox and shifts fast enough and accurate with automaticdouble-clutch . I driven one of the first sprinter cdi diesel with that gearbox in early 2000.

gunhand, Jan 30, 10:31pm
asumming your talking sprinter, the ambo service has used them for years. I know of one that was stuffed but on a whole they hold up very well considering the abuse they get. Ask your local St John garage they will tell you all you need to know about the last 10 years of sprinters. Bigger cities have there own mechanics on site.

vtecintegra, Jan 30, 10:48pm
Pretty sure its a conventional auto not a DSG as post 2 suggests.

bigfatmat1, Feb 21, 11:12am
the ones that i have driven are dsg type auto box quite weird to drive if its a sprinter that is