Corolla cv boot replacement

lorollaz.inc, Jan 30, 8:28am
whats the easiest way to swap outter cv boot on a 97 corolla.
attempted it the other day but it was turning in to bigger job then first thought as i have no idea how to split the cv to get the boot on.
seen a cone lookin tool that stretches the cv boot but i dont think this cv boot will stretch.

andy61, Jan 30, 9:03am
Take the whole shaft off the car, remove inner cv boot and joint off,slide the old outerboot off along the shaft,clean up the cvjoint,slide the new boot on,fill up with cv grease etc ,refit to car,reasonably straight forward job but dirty with the cv grease. No need to split the outer joint as they can be very difficult to get apart.

johnf_456, Jan 30, 9:15am
Its a messy job far easier to pay a mechanic to do it. Then if they screw it up they have to fix it.

carkitter, Jan 30, 10:38am
Is there a trick to getting the inner joint free from the gearbox! I've found it very difficult to remove on my Corolla, far worse than any Honda I've worked on.

intrade, Jan 30, 9:18pm
or fit quickboots. i got some on the shelf.

kiwis0, Jan 30, 10:51pm
First Time I have seen those, gee they would of saved me a bundle a few years back.

amberley1, Jan 31, 6:17am
Grab a manual and do it yourself, its not too hard, no special tools, read that guy below on how to do it, you get a lot of satisfaction doing it yourself and not to mention the money saved, go for it!

gammelvind, Jan 31, 7:37am
Bought myself a cone off ebay UK, cost $25 delivered. The standard boots stretched over the cone by heating in hot water and covering the cone with grease. Was physically hard work, but a simple exercise and 4 months later passed vtnz wof.

incar., Feb 19, 2:55pm
for the sake of a few $, less than a $100 get it done by a qualified mechanic, if you havent done any you will struggle