V8 Running abit rough

jash3, Jan 31, 10:46pm
Its a 302w idles ok, revs fine, but when i drive it it starts to run rough any ideas! ive checked the net and found thiers 2 firing orders for this motor do you think it could be that! i just hope its not a burnt valve.Cheers guys

1fordluva, Jan 31, 10:57pm
Coil, leads,dizzy cap,plugs,rotor and check you firing order also.
Plug gap

bigjerry, Jan 31, 10:58pm
2 firing orders! thats abit confusing.

jash3, Jan 31, 11:00pm
Is it possible that ive got the wrong firing order if i have would it still run! Checked all those apart from the gap setting do you know what that is!

jash3, Jan 31, 11:03pm
Checked online 289-302 had a firing order than there was the HO 302 motor that had a different order.

jash3, Jan 31, 11:27pm
Cheers will do.

mechnificent, Feb 1, 1:15am
If you are using the wrong firing order it will spit out the carby.

I was going to ask the other day whether you knew that ford used two different firing orders.

The other day you said it idled well. have you changed your mind or has the motor changed!
If you have checked the electrical system out carefully then you should put a vacumm gauge on the motor and see what it does at idle and with a few revs on. There are good guides to using a vacumm gauge for diagnostic work online. You need to pay attention to the gauge, look for small regular fluctuations or surges of vacumm. You need to check the figures as well.

jash3, Feb 1, 2:37am
No it does idle well, sounds like little surges eg: dead spots do think its anything to major but have noticed that when i give it a good rev it backfires through the exhaust!

jash3, Feb 1, 2:50am
As i bring the revs up (slowly) it starts to run rough.

mechnificent, Feb 1, 3:05am
Pretty hard to say from here, but those symptoms sound like carby.

If it misses under a load it will probably be electrical.
If it surges, backfires out the exhaust, runs just slightly raggedly, then it will be timing or carby tune. Probably.
Remember what I told you the other day though. be systematic, be thorough.

Are you sure you have the timing right!
Are you sure the electrical system is right! Plugs, dizzy, leads, coil!
Have you checked the jets are all clean and the flout level is right!
Have you checked for vacumm leaks getting into the inlet somehow!
Do you know that the mechanical condition of the motor is good!

Do you have a vacumm gauge. they can tell you a lot. Have a goodle on "reading vacumm gauges", maybe "tuning with a vacumm gauge". something like that. A gauge will show up carby, timing, valve, ring, compression problems really well.

jash3, Feb 1, 3:10am
cheers for that mate.

lookoutas, Feb 27, 3:53pm
Start it up in the dark, and check there's not a Xmas tree lighting up around the leads.
Something is breaking down when the pressure comes on. Saw a very experienced mechanic chucking his toys out one night before a Jetboat race. This dumb Panelbeater suggested he try new leads and it fixed the problem. I'd had it happen with my boat.
My mate who was racing in the same class wasn't very impressed with me. So I told him he had to beat the bastard properly if he was good enough.