Brakes heat up on excessive downhill .no one knows

Page 2 / 3
mel_nz26, Jan 31, 5:47am
Never ceases to amaze me the totally dumb generation.

mel_nz26, Jan 31, 5:51am
We recently coming down the Kaimais with two fatty horses on board burnt out the trailer brakes and the front pads on the 4x4 using engine braking as well, but she was just two damn heavy scotty- the joys of motoring.

carkitter, Jan 31, 6:34am
Use your brakes as much as you like and use engine braking only when necessary such as long descents. Brake pads are designed to wear out and be replaced, as are disc rotors. Gearboxes, engine mounts and crankshafts are not.

In your case the pad material is not OEM specified or if it is you are operating the vehicle outside of it's designed parameters (unlikely).

lookoutas, Jan 31, 6:36am
Using the engine is OK.
Using brains is imperative.

johnf_456, Jan 31, 6:38am
Give them a good bled could be moisture causing issues.

jazzyjack1, Jan 31, 6:49am
To answer some of he above, I had children in the car so I was driving well below the speed limit. I dont drive like an idiot.

So my conclusion could be I have cheap nasty pads!

mrfxit, Jan 31, 6:53am
Yep fine with me . ignoring the answers above is ok as well

jazzyjack1, Jan 31, 6:55am
Could it be the brake fluid!

vtecintegra, Jan 31, 6:57am
Just because your speed is below the legal limit doesn't mean its appropriate for the vehicle and conditions.

Yes there could be something up with the braking system, or it could just be you are driving too hard, impossible to tell.

carkitter, Jan 31, 7:01am
Not impossible to tell at all. The main causes of the problem are carrying excess weight, excess use of brakes due to excess speed, deteriorated fluid and poor quality pads. Process of elimination.

mrfxit, Jan 31, 7:25am
Nope just a bit out there (think about it)

Sticking rubber cylinder seals (slave or master cylinders) = constant pad rubbing
Totally stuffed or really thin pads = not transfering/expelling heat correctly
Constant heavy braking with heavy loads & or steep hills = not enough time for heat reduction
Pads with an extreamly hard compound = needing LOTS of constant peddle pressure
Moisture in the fluid = heat generating water/steam expansion causing constant minimal pressure of the pads on the brake rotors
Buildup of dirt in the calipers = causes cylinders/pads to stick on slightly

Theres more but it's already getting pedantic.

Get the cylinders checked for sticking (easy job), if thats ok, Get the brakes flushed ASAP.
If theres no change . CHECK your own braking habits

carkitter, Jan 31, 7:28am
Not an exhaustive list. Besides, you basically repeated my list in a different form.

illusion_, Jan 31, 7:30am
Yes . as explained by mrfixit at post #31

I have had exactly that problem. As the brakes heat up with hill work any moisture in the fluid starts turning to steam and causes the brakes to drag . and to fade due to even more heat being produced.

Get the fluid changed. Solved my problem.

johnf_456, Jan 31, 7:35am
^ Brake fluid should also be changed as part of maintenance as well just like oil and filters have intervals.

mechnificent, Jan 31, 11:17am
And I'd agree. Sight unseen. this is what I'd suspect.

mechnificent, Jan 31, 11:21am
No. That road is no worse than any other bit of hilly country, better than some bit's actually.
Pads don't smell like runner.
Get your brakes checked by a competent mechanic. NOT MIDAS!

kevymtnz, Jan 31, 11:35am
Manual or auto gears should be used at all times when needed to slow and brakes used only to help drop the extra speed
i hope some drivers dont think engine reving at 3,000+rpm downhill is to much,
engine braking gives you control and if you dont know that hand in ya licence at the nearest police station

steelman3, Jan 31, 6:15pm
i was driving down the otara in my ute when some tossa past me in a prado poo i said "whats that stink is my clutch about to go" look ahead tossa in prado had brake lights shining away continuously what a jerk.

mechnificent, Feb 1, 1:07am
Well if you ever get out of the city(and NO the Waitakeres does not count as out of the city), then you will find there are roads just like that all over the country. and lots that have far bigger hills too.

mrfxit, Feb 1, 3:40am
88 2.4T Surf (Approx 2.5 ton loaded up)
As far as I can tell, it hasn't had the brakes touched in MANY many many years, didn't have any problems with overheating brakes between Hamilton to Hanmer Springs & back via Rainbow Valley,including several pass's over the Takaka Hills & that blimin hill above Hanmer Springs is FRICKIN rough & steep.

4 adults/ assorted camping gear & family tent etc etc

So yep, it's either something you're doing very wrong or something is very wrong with your vehicle

mechnificent, Feb 1, 4:20am
Agreed. I know guys that tow twin axle trailers with mini-duggers all over the place and their brakes don't get hot enough to smell. especially of rubber.

The lady says she drives moderately. there is something wrong with the brakes.

mrfxit, Feb 1, 7:44am
Well at least mechnificent's correct on that bit

darkstalker, Feb 1, 7:53am
I had this problem, solved after a replacement of disc rotors and new pads .
Mechanic was very helpful in explaining that low quality pads are false economy and was kind enough to give a quick run down on how brakes worjk
+1 for avoiding Midas

mechnificent, Feb 1, 7:58am
Like I car what you think. We are talking brakes here; not you and your bike.
Dreamer!

ottoman, Feb 1, 8:39am
Scenic drive sounds hideous! Must remember to never drive down it incase my brakes self combust.