Electric power steer pump

roys351, Jan 31, 8:19am
does anyone know if they were fitted to anything other than toyota mr2 i am thinking maybe something else with a rear or mid mounted motor car/bus i need one so if you have one please let me know thanks

jasongroves, Jan 31, 8:25am
After some quick googling, it appears that some VWs, Hondas, Mercedes, Seat, Skoda etc etc etc have used electric pumps.
They can also be purchased new from quite a few places, mainly overseas by the looks of it.

jasongroves, Jan 31, 8:27am
Out of interest.why not the MR2 one anyway!
Would have to be the most common and easy to source.

paul271, Jan 31, 8:28am
4 wheel steer nissans have a pump on the rear subframes whichare easier and cheaper to get. MR2 pumps are worth big dollars now

franc123, Jan 31, 8:32am
pretty common on modern Euros, Ford Focus, Opel Astra, Peugeot etc.Interestingly some manufacturers are ditching hydraulics completely and just putting a large servo motor onto the column and using a normal manual rack instead.

pollymay, Jan 31, 8:37am
This, they are effective as if you wire a dial up to them you can control how much assist they give which is handy.

I don't even run a pump on my race mr2 cause it's heavy and too expensive to replace.

matarautrader, Jan 31, 8:39am
My wifes 2002 barina has them I am told

roys351, Jan 31, 8:49am
i need it to run a 4wd hilux p/s box on a 1950 bedford running a 4.1 falcon x flo & 5 spd no room for std facon pump

rkauto, Jan 31, 8:52am
BMW Mini also electric PS

roys351, Jan 31, 9:34am
me not to flash on a computa any one know models/years of what has been sugested !thanks

jsbike, Jan 31, 9:44pm
they are more of an electric rack, and they only move the wheels a couple of deg

illusion_, Jan 31, 10:01pm
wouldnt it be a lot easier and more reliable to go "old school" and fit a 4wd hilux p/s pump with reservoir, bracket etc to the falcon motor!definitely be a whole lot easier to find one

roys351, Feb 1, 3:05am
it wont fit in engine bay

treachug, Feb 1, 5:51am
I use an electric pump from Holden/Opel Astra '98-'05 model in my stockcar. Have had no issues with it in 3-4 years of racing etc. Have a few wires but thats because they only run when engine is running so normally wired thru engine ECU. The auto sparky didnt use all the wires & we have it operating thru a switch so the pump can run without engine running & vice versa. Gives nice and light steering as well.

roys351, Feb 1, 9:56am
thanks are you running a box or rack!

treachug, Feb 1, 6:29pm
Running a box out of (apparently) american Ford maybe F150 or similar. Wired thru a 80amp fuse and no hassles. Using late model (V6) Commodore 120amp alternator.

roys351, Mar 1, 10:46am
awsome thanks sounds like it would be perfect