Bought a car with a "fully reco'd" engine.

Page 1 / 2
kazbanz, Dec 10, 11:49pm
So looking through this advertising websitesaw this vehicle for sale on auction .
The owner in the advert said it had just had a fully reco'd engine. They said face to face it was a nice fresh engine.
A few days later it stopped going.
Took it to a good qualified mechanic who took it to bits and said the only part sorta newish was the rings.
yea it was an auction but can a seller lie like that and get away with it!

saffa2, Dec 10, 11:51pm
always ask for receipts.

richynuts, Dec 10, 11:55pm
Depends. what if the seller had paid for a full recon but the mechanic who did the job did not do a full recon! Best to go back to seller and ask for reciepts.

ozz1, Dec 11, 12:00am
same as." new engine fitted. or new gearbox fitted.".justsecond hand. units. not from original.car. so. maybe can be classed " as new" ! not really .but so many people fall for it.

40wav, Dec 11, 12:04am
You didn't get stung like that did you Kaz! You always have good and thourough advice on here so I thought you would have got reciepts or researched more.

kazbanz, Dec 11, 12:04am
nahh the seller saidit was FULLYreco'd and said they knew what was involved.it even said it in the advert.
Surely thats false advertising when nothing was actually done

kazbanz, Dec 11, 12:05am
SHHH--read the OP carefully

40wav, Dec 11, 12:11am
OK, it is false advertising BUT, is that against the law when it is an auction.

franc123, Dec 11, 12:11am
Only a fool would buy something advertised as being fully recon without seeing invoices for the pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets etc as well as those for the machining work, if they can't produce these then they are telling porkies.The term is even used for when somebody has thrown a second hand engine in that was really only a bit better than the one that was replaced.The other reason you should be suspicious is why did the engine blow up or else got so worn that it wouldn't run properly anymore!Long term neglect and if so whats the rest of the vehicle like!Its a pretty rare thing these days for someone to ask for a recon engine unless its a rare or valuable car or perhaps a latish model high km diesel ute or 4x4 thats still worth reasonable money and its economically feasible to do a recon because of the relatively high price of second hand motors, or a good second hand engine is hard to come by.

stealthbida, Dec 11, 12:21am
100% on the money with your comment franc. totally agree! Sounds likea rebuilt engine where things were replaced that were worn or broken, with the rest of the engine still being in "reasonable" condition.

40wav, Dec 11, 12:24am
Dont think so. Theres more to this than we can see yet.

franc123, Dec 11, 12:29am
I forgot to add that if it had been fully reconed, any sane owner would be wanting to get a sizeable amount of km out of it before selling it in and at least recoup some of the costs, why would you put it up for sale straight away!Doing the job properly costs a couple of K at least just in parts and machining no matter what engine it is even if you DIY the removal/refitting and dismantling and reassembly work, and a heap more if you are paying someone to do it.

stealthbida, Dec 11, 12:35am
I know thats why I edited my post.apologies to kaz.

kazbanz, Dec 11, 12:38am
but the question is.
If in the advert the seller SAIDthe engine was "just fully reco'd" and its not beenwhat comeback is there!"

stealthbida, Dec 11, 12:48am
The guy has lied and that is false advertising and I would possibly take him to small claims court to get money back etc

curlcrown, Dec 11, 1:18am
CGA does not apply to auctions. Sales of goods act does, so the law is on your side. However it is going to consume a lot of your time and effort for a possible result, not a gaurenteed one so it may be better to put it down to experiance and move on.

franc123, Dec 11, 1:20am
And ask to see receipts next time.

tigertim20, Dec 11, 1:24am
+1. If the seller has outright lied about the vehicle, Id expect you have grounds to take them to court, its fraud.

tigertim20, Dec 11, 1:25am
Take them to court. If the seller genuinely believed it was recon'd, and had receipts, what would happen is the seller would 'bring in a third party' to the court case. Basically stating that They have proof that the misinformation was not their fault.

tigertim20, Dec 11, 1:27am
I agree with you, BUT.
How many people know ZERO about engines. Many people wouldnt know what machining is, or how bearings work, simply because theyve never had anything to do with mechanical stuff. -It depends on who bought the vehicle, a mechanically minded person, or a 90 year old granny!

mrblouse, Dec 11, 1:32am
Thats why you ask for receipts & if they are provided, question the mechanic who did the job or better still the engine reconditioner involved to confirm your case. Same goes with "reconditioned or rebuilt engine by previous owner"

crzyhrse, Dec 11, 1:58am
Then they need to pay for an inspection or take the gamble of not having one. The time when you could take someone at their word in this country is long gone.

kazbanz, Dec 11, 2:03am
Sok guys--stupid I may be ---THAT stupid I'm not.
I just wanted to see the general opinion on whats what when someone blatantly and definitely false advertises.
My response was to say thatas far as I'm concerned its fraud but you need to look at the costs of recovery of your money. Also frankly the chances you actually in the real world WOULD recover your money

franc123, Dec 11, 2:07am
Thats where doing a full prepurchase inspection comes in, or at least dragging someone along with you to look at it who knows the terminology.Remember some people will tell you anything to make a sale, its buyer beware, or in this case buyer verify, its common sense to be certain of your facts about what may or may not have been done to a car when you are about to part with large sums of money for it.

crzyhrse, Dec 11, 2:08am
Thing is. owner says something. but it's being sold at auction. so unless the auctioneer makes the misrepresentation you probably don't have a snowflake's chance.