Thermostat in. or thermostat out!

Page 3 / 6
noddybabe1, Sep 12, 7:05am
thanks for this. am sure he would have followed instructions. but he has been soooo stressed over this van.

so latest update is:he will retorque / check torque!and we will buy another thermostat.the thermostat was sticking. but i cleaned it with baking soda and vinegar. so unstuck. but might have eaten away the wax.so the van is now going to sit for another 4 days till he back off shift work :)

noddybabe1, Sep 12, 7:06am
thanks, will show him this when he gets back in from outside. i think he is taking the rocket cover off. using torches!

intrade, Sep 12, 7:08am
he should do what it has said on the original headgasket instruction.nothing else . as not all headgasket torque down the same way.
READ the friggen instructions from gasket manufacturer.

intrade, Sep 12, 7:08am
Good thinking sherlock

noddybabe1, Sep 12, 7:08am
. he did retorque in the right order. just those two bolts were not at the right torque or something. hopefully there is thread left!

noddybabe1, Sep 12, 7:15am
you would think that the place where we have bought the head. bought gaskets and bolts from . would tell marc this. they have even checked the head etc etc. and 'i dunno why' is the answer back.we dunno why either. lolbullet to the head.

noddybabe1, Sep 12, 7:27am
this has been checked every time. the bolts have washers on them.

noddybabe1, Sep 12, 7:32am
he has been doing the torquing per instructions. that is why this is soooo frustrating for him and the other guys. seems to be a combination of expensive problems rather than just one.

mrcat1, Sep 12, 12:22pm
The final torque of +90 degrees is very important, had alot of trouble with the heads on a TD100 volvo truck engine that i didn't do that, it was +90 then + 90 and that was after i'd done the bolts up to about 400ft/lbs but it had steel plate head gaskets with a special groove around on the head.

noddybabe1, Sep 12, 7:48pm
i wrote wrong. marc re torqued the 90 degrees etc. what i meant was that he didn't re-check them. the mechanic here at the time said 'that was tight enough'. marc thought it wasn't. and it wasn't, hence the re-check and 2nd and 3rd loose. he should have listened to himself.i think it is the other type head. not steel.!

noddybabe1, Sep 12, 7:59pm
also, in case you think we are plain dumb. the reason why most of the gaskets blew is because we were told the radiators had been done. .mind you, we found a lot of hoses were pretty soft,so they blew or split. and also the belts were really worn. so has been one major painful buy from the start really.cost a grand to buy, have spent a grand on it. so hopefully tonight it will go. or i will be a widow.

russ6, Sep 12, 9:23pm
stretched studs maybe!Another million motor hours import. I got caught with a jap import diesel as well.

intrade, Sep 12, 10:37pm
if you have any further problems your probably best pay
m16d some money for his time to figure out what is wrong as he is in the same town and seems to know what he talks about.
there is loads of things one should have checked the secound time .
I usually sleep over things and work out what it could andcantbe causing problems . but one needs all facts and have eliminated most of them to figure things

noddybabe1, Sep 13, 7:26am
dont know.marc rechecked torque settings and they are correct to specs on the cardboard of the headgasket. have bought another thermostat today, but nothing more will be happening till friday when he finishes work. fingers crossed all will be good.the engine has been reconditioned, so everything is all good there. has amazing high compression!can you tell!:)

noddybabe1, Sep 13, 7:32am
yes, we have no problem with paying someone. and have done. marc is quite capable. i think everything that can be eliminated or can go wrong. has.

noddybabe1, Sep 13, 7:33am
thank you to you guys above that have made helpful comments. if you would like something in return, come and grab a couple of lengths of steel box section for free :)

noddybabe1, Sep 16, 11:15pm
right, bought a new thermostat, drilled a hole in the top as it didn't have one like the one that came out of it.

hubby gone now for a 1/2 hr drive. hopefully he makes it back!

noddybabe1, Sep 17, 12:33am
. been over a hour. he still not back.no phone call either. hmmmmm

noddybabe1, Sep 17, 1:24am
.just because you really give a shit.update is.

steam and water coming out of back of van. marcs mate was following behind him luckily. as he saw it. but marc didn't hear it happen.

.plastic pipe on top of radiator has snapped and come off. leaving only 10ml sticking out on the radiator.

.off comes the radiator now to see if another pipe thingy can be screwed into the hole .

no laughing going on round here at the moment. :(

roadkill3, Sep 17, 2:03am
try bleeding the radiator by filling up and letting idle (wawithout cap on) till it boils over, turn it off let it cool then refill water replace cap, go for drive if water goes down to top of core thats will be it's normal level if you lose allwater then it's not that

noddybabe1, Sep 17, 2:14am
thanks, am pretty sure he let idle with cap off last night. the water level went down. he topped up . he was smiling then .as there was no bubbling.

he has gone to deisel mechanics /radiator shop to see if they can fix radiator.

noddybabe1, Sep 17, 5:28am
back to square one.anybody got a radiator for this thing. !

we know. we know. like hens teeth.

td27 nissan homy 1995 gt cruise diesel auto

gotta ask anyways. just never know. :)

intrade, Sep 17, 6:23am
if you cant get a new radiator you can get one custom made for not much more
http://www.rdradiators.co.nz/

scoobeey, Sep 17, 9:36am
hmarc is a diesel mechanic and doesnt know to leave rad cap on or off amoungst other things WIND UP

noddybabe1, Sep 18, 1:30am
. when someone tells you to keep the thermostat out, when you were going to keep it in. then someone else tells you to keep it on. then someone else to keep it off. your head gets screwed.

thats what happens when there is too many'cook's. and after 3 blown heads he began to doubt himself.

my van we kept thermostat off when it blew as the dumb prick in hamilton didn;t put the radiator cap back on when he checked my water.and marc fixed that all good. in 1/2 day.

this van has just been a nightmare with heaps of peoples conflicting opinions. has to do with all the eliminations being done. and still blowing! or something else going wrong etc etc etc.this has been nearly two months of muck around,.for something in theory so basic.