BMW 525

bobin55, Feb 2, 10:28am
when looking at a BMW 525 1996 2.5 is there any thing i need to know about them as far as engine trans running costs etc

carkitter, Feb 2, 10:37am
That's a big car with a relatively small engine. Are you sure a 325i/328i won't do the job!

carkitter, Feb 2, 10:47am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_5_Series
Are you looking at an E34 or E39 model! The E34 was good in it's day but a little tired now, while the E39 in 4.0L form was regarded as one of the best cars in the world by respected UK magazine Autocar. The 528i model was arguably better due to a different steering rack and less weight over the front wheels giving it better handling (less understeer) and more steering feel.

I think the E39 was where they started including aluminium suspension components for light weight and improved performance.

doug207, Feb 2, 10:48am
Jap imports had weak gear boxes.
Singapore imports had many electrical problems.
NZ new ones seem to last very well if treated correctly.
No cam belt to worry about.
It will only have just over 170hp, a 328i is a far better car for the money, but, the 5 series is a very safe car, airbags galore, side intrusion beams etc etc etc
I can't remeber much off the top of my head sorry.

doug207, Feb 2, 10:50am
This is said to be true, but, I found after driving both, the difference is marginal. The 540i is still set up to accommodate and handle the 4.4l motor, I do believe the 4.0 was never available in E39! Nothing wrong with the old 540i steering box.
But, I agree that the 528i is a brilliant car

carkitter, Feb 2, 10:55am
Wikipedia says your right, well done!

phillip.weston, Mar 4, 2:46am
The E60 525i I drove certainly wasn't underpowered, and I'm sure it would have weighed more than an E39 model.