Gearbox fluid capacity!

cheese-mike, Dec 12, 5:38am
Hi,
Our Ford Econovan needed the gearbox removed to fix a leak and we have done that fine but the fill plug doesn't want to come out for us to put more fluid back in (I read that they can sometimes get stuck).
Luckily the Econovan box has 2 fill bolts, the other one comes out easily enough. However only the one that wont come out can be used to check capacity.
Does anyone happen to know the rough amount of gearbox fluid I should use to fill it back up!

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 6:02am
About 2.5 litres from memory. You can use a cold chisel and a hammer to loosen the filler plug, and simply weld a big nut on it, so you can use it next time. I recommend using 75W-90 oil (not 80W-90, although it will do).

jasongroves, Dec 12, 6:03am
Are you sure it has 2 fill points!
Should only have one, which you fill until it just starts to overflow.
What year and engine!

cheese-mike, Dec 12, 6:10am
Thanks, the fluid we drained out of it is about 2 litres so 2.5 sounds about right.

cheese-mike, Dec 12, 6:11am
As far as I can gather it has 2 fill points. there is always alternative fill points in a gear box.
It is a 1988 with a 5 speed manual and FE engine

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 6:12am
OK, so the filler plug should be square shaped, right! Tried vice grips!

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 6:13am
I normally use a good quality 12 inch adjustable spanner to loosen the filler plug.

cheese-mike, Dec 12, 6:14am
We tried everything, apparently they get stuck quite often

mugenb20b, Dec 12, 6:18am
Never had one that was stuck before. You'll probably find that the last person to tighten the plug was some ham fisted jungle monkey who used a 24 inch crescent with a 6 foot long pipe extension.

cheese-mike, Dec 12, 6:21am
Probably. But after more looking online it does seem they have 2 fill points, so luckily I can use the other one

jasongroves, Dec 12, 7:58am