1985 Holden VK SS - Replace gearbox with!. Am wanting to replace the 4 speed gearbox in my vk with a 5 speed am having issues fi

kaysum2, Dec 7, 7:51am
Am wanting to replace the 4 speed gearbox in my VK with a 5 speed, am having issues finding a box that will.Have been told a T5g will bolt straight on, but these are really rare to find.Any help/info at all would be really helpfull.The VK SS is a v8 carbuerated engine

rob_man, Dec 7, 8:51am
Double doubles. What does it mean!

hatchback, Dec 8, 12:03am
Does the Vk have the 308 and is it the turbo bolt patern as in Chev, if so the T5 from a 5liter VN/VP should fit.

skully13, Dec 8, 5:30am
Good luck finding a T5G (HSV VL Walkinshaw only gearbox), any of the other T5's from VN-VS will work, Tremec TKO's if you want something a bit stronger, Toyota W55,57,58 would work to about 300hpas I understand, or the Toyota supra R154. All of these require a bit of work to fit in with driveshaft etc being needed to fit the gearbox.

schultzie, Dec 8, 6:23am
Yes.If you have a trimatic pattern block. The 4 cog you got already should be an M20 at least. Good money for those. The coin from the 4 cog should fund most of the gear required for a supra conversion which in itself is a common swap.As mentioned a T5 from any VN commo onwards will slot in with the front half of the d/shaft. Has to be the v8 box tho as the 6cyl version has longer input shaft & shot peening of many components isnt as strong. Good luck

patiki1, Dec 8, 6:57am
A T5 will be alright if you dont give it too much crap.A tremec TKO is a much stronger box.The R154 is also a good box.

kaysum2, Dec 11, 7:59am
Thanks Guys/Girls. currently have a M21 in her but third gear is whining, would rather replace it with a 5 speed.Will check out all you mentions