Insurance write off

heartbeats, Feb 4, 3:03am
We took our car in to get minor dings and scratches fixed after the earthquake.

Today the insurance company called to say they were sending someone out to value the car to see if it was worth fixing.Repairs will cost $2500, car is insured for $4000.

If they decide to write it off, the panel beater said they will tow it away and pay us out.

What if we want to keep the car!Or at least keep it until we can afford to top up the insurance payout and buy a decent replacement.

It is a 3L Nissan Maxima and has done 294,000 kms.We've just had it serviced and new WOF and it goes really well.We've had it for 15 years and it's been brilliant, so not keen to part with it until we can get a decent replacement.

Thanks for your advice.

sudsy99, Feb 4, 3:05am
My understanding is that they may offer it back to you after payout, to buy, if you ask.

ric7, Feb 4, 3:10am
often happens, you need to let them know ASAP that you want to keep the 'wreck' for which they will charge you the top dollar it would fetch at auction and usually they will sell it to you deregistered.

r34skyline1, Feb 4, 3:11am
I work for insurance co and they will usally only write off the vehicle if the repairs will be 75% of the insured value. Anyhow you should have first dibs on buying the wreck back but sometimes the car may need to be deregistered .ask your insurance co

vtecintegra, Feb 4, 3:34am
I'll bet you won't get $4k for a Maxima with that many KMs which is why they'd be writing it off at only $2.5k

msigg, Feb 4, 4:31am
Hi, you have had the car a long time and done good km in it, say you want to keep the car for sentimental reasons or what ever and they will probably do a deal with you. As said best to get in early before too much paper work is done. good luck.

horsygirl, Feb 4, 4:41am
Get them to pay out the cost of repairs and leave you with the car.

bendean, Feb 4, 4:49am
it will definately be d-reg if they write it off

rob_man, Feb 4, 4:58am
Not necessarily, if you do a deal where you accept X amount for the repairs and get the car back, it hasn't been written off.
The term "written off" is nothing to do with structure or safety, it's simply the point where it's more economically feasible to cut the vehicle's throat from the insurance Co's point of view.

elvis58, Feb 4, 5:00am
We have been given no idea of the damage, why would you think it will be dereg! To the best of my understanding they dereg when damage is stuctual to make the ned for a repair cert to rereg and cover their butts.
Surely they will sell you the wreck, won't be very popular to wreckers due to age and milage and probably damage to saleable panels.Best you talk to the company involved.

bendean, Mar 9, 6:15am
i crashed my car it was definately fixable and the fix price was less than the insurance value but they deemed it un-economical to fix it so they paid me and dereged it and offered it to me 4 1250buks, i wish i did take that offer now coz it sold at auction for 4500g