16 yr old son delivering pizzas - needs insurance

Page 1 / 2
espi007, Jan 12, 9:45pm
My son is currently covered by my insurance policy when he uses my car but is about to get a job delivering pizzas and I understand he will not be covered when he is using the car for work purposes. I have approached my insurance company and they say he will need commercial 3rd-party insurance but they will not offer that to us. Does anyone know a company who will!

uhc1, Jan 12, 9:51pm
try nac. they seem to cover everything.

a.woodrow, Jan 13, 12:35am
I have commercial insurance through state for my vehicle, costs about $35 a month for full cover

owene, Jan 13, 12:42am
Will Pizzahut pay mileage!

trimble, Jan 13, 12:55am
Clic car insurance should be the cheapest.

elect70, Jan 13, 1:25am
Carry a gunbest insurance against gettingmugged,proved to be easy targets for low lifes .

male_timaru, Jan 13, 1:30am
Some companies you don't require insurance for deliveries

I remember they had a thing on Tv about it featuring Dominoes etc

neo_psy, Jan 13, 6:12am
That's hard on the car - I used to do it.

sw20, Jan 13, 6:21am
No, the delivery drivers are contractors, not employees.

You can make reasonably easy money delivering for Pizza Hut if its a busy store. My ex gf used to manage a store in Christchurch and I used to deliver for her sometimes. Best night was 30 deliveries in five hours. I got $5.60! per delivery back then I think.

kevymtnz, Jan 13, 6:50am
this is where the contract act is a dictatorship and to be seen as such
company wants to use employees car then the employee must charge company x amount /km my advice is to dont even think about doing it

sw20, Jan 13, 7:05am
He isn't an employee. He is a contractor. He pays his own tax and can claim back expenses.

owene, Jan 13, 7:15am
So by the time you factor in the car running costs (min 40c/km for even a 1200cc vehicle) plus the extra insurance costs, you or your son will be paying for the privilege to deliver pizzas! Do the sums honestly.

focuson21, Jan 13, 7:41am
state insurance - business pac

r15, Jan 13, 8:08am
do it on a scooter or small motorcycle, you wont make money in a car with today's costs.also in anyone's interested - in 2001 when they started this contract driver scheme they were paying $3.90 each delivery.

back then none of the drivers paid their taxes (and none got caught that i know of)

and i doubt any of them arranged special insurance.

owene, Jan 13, 8:10am
By the time he's run the vehicle, bought the insurance and employed an accountant to claim his outgoings as allowable against tax, he'd be better to have gone on the dole. Remember that he'll also have to pay ACC levy as self-employed. It's crazy but the sums will show that to be so.

male_timaru, Jan 13, 8:12am
Hahahaha

I have applied for an evening job doing pizza delivery - YOU ARE EMPLOYED by the company - you get an hourly wage and a $ per delivery amount (including the $/km value too) !So have no idea what you are on about ! lol

sw20, Jan 13, 8:15am
Before you have a laugh read my posts above.

Hell's and Dominos pay minimum wage + tiny delivery fee. Pizza Hut pay a much higher rate, it must be about $6/delivery now since they charge the customer $8. By the way, each delivery = each customer. The company lets you do two deliveries on each trip, but on busy nights its not uncommon to take four if they are all in the same area.

male_timaru, Jan 13, 9:13am
I did and the jobs I have applied for I am an EMPLOYEE not contractor and I will get hourly rate AND delivery rate - and still be making 20-30 deliveries per night (esp weekends) so i will be very happy with that and I'll get to know Chch far better

sw20, Jan 13, 9:24am
Cool bro. owene was talking about Pizza Hut, they employ contractors.
Hence why you don't see so many Chinese students delivering now, as the Immigration department cracked down, as you can't be an independent contractor on a student visa.

owene, Jan 13, 9:24am
Out of interest, what km rate are you getting!

male_timaru, Jan 13, 9:38am
haven't got the full $$ value yet - application was in - they told me what it was per delivery (which included that rate in there) and i thought - nice that's a good extra on top of the hourly rate! especially as i know how much my vehicle costs to run (i think the rate is like $6.75 or $7.50 or something like that now)

male_timaru, Jan 13, 9:41am
that's good money for 5 hours work - 5 x min wage (for argument's sake) $12.50 = $62.50 + 30 x $5.60 = $168.00 = $230.50 * 0.805 = $185.55 - fuel = $50 tops! = $135 for 1 night's work - not bad i would say!

owene, Jan 13, 9:49am
But your sums are based on the cost of runing the vehicle as being fuel alone!

sw20, Jan 13, 9:52am
Err there was no minimum wage.

$5.60 per delivery, contract work. Still over $30/h. They pay $6.00 now.

I think I used about $20 gas that night.\

By the way, the only way you are going to get 20-30 deliveries a night during the week is if you are the only driver on.

male_timaru, Jan 13, 9:52am
not really - Fuel would be $40 actually but $10 per day maintenance - wof, rego, tyres, etc isnot low but a high estimate

I do run a company vehicle myself and know exactly how much my car costs me lol