Auto Electrical Questions Campervan Related

Page 2 / 2
thejazzpianoma, Dec 14, 12:05am
O.K next question! (Man this question asking thing is great!, nice to be on the other end of things for a change)

I would like to fit a voltage regulator for my LED lights and a few other bits which require a voltage fairly close to 12v. Weird thing is I am not really seeing much around. Ideally I would like a unit that can cope with say 5 amps and then I can string all the stuff I need off the one regulator.

Can you suggest something! Or am I missing something, it seems weird that these are not plentiful on ebay or at the motorhome websites etc!

Also, ideas on a supplier for electrical flex, fuse box's etc would be great!

Thanks again, you guys are saving me a lot of worry and head scratching.

tmenz, Dec 14, 2:39am
Not sure why you would need a regulator to give you an accurate 12 volts!
All lights, LEDS, TVs, etc. that are intended for mobile/vehicle use are usually designed around a voltage supply of nominal 13.8 volts which is that of a fully charged standard lead/acid battery.
Most such units can tolerate voltages from about 11 ~ 15 with no problems (professional gear is usually 10 ~17).

The problem with making a 12 volt regulator is that the input voltage is nominally 11 ~ 14 from the battery so a switching regulator is required - a simple linear regulator requires an input voltage of at least 2 volts above the required output voltage.
Such devices do exist but they're hard to find and expensive.

All the required hardware, wiring etc. should be available from your local electrical wholesaler, although if you can find some of it at Bunnings, Mitre10Mega etc. it will probably be cheaper there!
For 12/24 volt DC components such as switch panels, meters etc. try marine suppliers - they often have very nicebits and pieces - but usually expensive to boot!

To monitor the current, you can get traditional +/- ammeters of various ranges that could suit but they're not so common any more. These days there are Hall effect clamp-on DC ammeters but they tend to be 'boutique' and expensive. Ask at your friendly electrical wholesaler!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 14, 2:55am
Sweet thanks tmenz,

I was trying to be a bit naughty and use one or two 12v house LED's and some nasty chinese stuff too (they had some styles and colors I couldn't get in the better brands). The idea was to feed them closer to 12v in case they were not designed for the varying range of voltage.

I will take what you have said onboard though and stick with proper vehicle led's. The other key item was the onboard computer (audio visual) but its 12v supply should be O.K anyway as its designed for automotive use, I was just trying to be extra careful with that one.

I have an account with an electrical wholesaler so will stick with them for bits where I can as you suggest too.

BTW, the ammeter situation is built into the solar regulator that I want to use. I am not that worried about it to be honest so I might just try bypassing the microwave like you would an alternator on a car with an ammeter and leave it at that. Its only going to cost me $70 for the controller so if I need to change it out at some point I am not worried.

Thanks again for your help I think that pretty much covers it!
Cheers to everyone actually, you have saved me a lot of work!

tmenz, Dec 14, 2:59am
Have a look around this site for DC-DC converters:
http://www.powerbox.co.nz/pdf/PBK2H.pdf