Ford focus as a family car!

Page 1 / 2
jojo76, Feb 3, 3:22am
Ok, we are in the market for a new car. We are a famlily of 4, 2 adults 2 primary aged kids.
We currently have a ford mondeo V6 so it is a tad thirsty and with the price of fuel, we want a 2 to 2.3 l vehicle.
I like hatches ad they are good for getting thing in and out of the boot compared to a sedan.
So hubby likes a ford focus, but i thought it was a tad small for a family car.have you any recommendations! and those who own a focus would you recommend it! Thanks

zak1998, Feb 3, 4:06am
Keep what you have it's not the car it's how you drive it. On long trips your V6 is better that a 2.0cc on fuel or the same

rsr72, Feb 3, 4:12am
#1- .constantly growing kids.

trouser, Feb 3, 4:34am
Focus would be fine. People use smaller for more.

franc123, Feb 3, 4:38am
So how much money are we prepared to spend on upgrading a vehicle to save $X at the fuel pump!Work that one out first.It would also pay to do your homework re the alleged fuel economy of modern 2.0L cars, the results are often not as good as you'd think in the real world.There is no reason why you shouldn't buy a Focus, they are great cars but is it really going to save you that much money and be suitable for your needs for the next few years!If I had growing kids I wouldn't be going into a physically smaller vehicle.

audi_s_ate, Feb 3, 4:42am
Mate has a 2.0 focus which is averaging 6.7l to 100km and an open rd trip can get into the 5.x l/100km which is pretty incredible. Economy will be better than most at the size. Great car for a family. Your husband is right re hatch back just watch the rear head room if you have teenagers.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 3, 4:46am
For what you are wanting I would seriously suggest looking at the VW Golf MK5 as well. The Golf is quite a bit better on economy and a lot more car for the money.
Don't get me wrong I like the Ford product and particularly enjoyed our late model Mondeo work cars but the MK5 Golf is just lightyears ahead for similar money.

zetec, Feb 3, 4:54am
The Focus is very roomy for its class, two primary school children would have ample room in the back seat. They also give a very comfortable rideand handle well. You could find the hatch luggage space a bit tight for holiday luggage for four, but a roof rack box is the solution. You can carry up to 100kg on the roof in a properly fitted box. The best economy in the Mk1 Focus (2003-2005) for NZ new examples comes from the 1.6 litre manual. Surprisingly it gets along fine on the open road so long as you use the gearbox. You can buy NZ new examples dependant on year and mileage from between $7k and $12k, which makes it good buying. The Focus has no major mechanical issues to my knowledge and experience, like any car buy one with service history, and have it checked out before you buy. Mine has 133km and still drives like a new one.

fordcrzy, Feb 3, 8:33am
whats your budget!
our focus work cars are great but they arent happy in traffic. they are a PITA to drive stop/start traffic and seem to eat tyres.

Mk 5 golfs are a great alternative.

jojo76, Feb 3, 7:59pm
Thanks for your opinions.Upon thinking about ot more, we'd be planning on keeping the focus for 4+ years, I have a 9 year old who at the moment is very tall, and thinking of a 6ftish teenager sqwished into the back of a focus.hhmmm may not work to well, so back to the drawing board.
I would keep our mondeo, but i don't like keeping cars once they have hit 140,000km, how long before it starts costing $$!

ric7, Feb 4, 12:37am
Corolla hatch, I'm 6'4 and can sit in the back no problem as well as being good on fuel and very reliable.

johnf_456, Feb 4, 1:32am
Nothing wrong with 140,000km that is low!

illusion_, Feb 4, 1:39am
just get a Multipla

wrong2, Feb 4, 4:40am
modern engines can happily travel triple that without needing reconditioning

modern electronics & chassie are a different story

cars wear according to how they are driven . i could stuff a brand new car thats been run in properly in as little as 5000 km's. or make it last past 300,000

if you have a dud , it will have been giving you problems by 100K

regular oil changes , regular servicing , carefull driving - & most new cars are good long term runners

jumping out of good condition cars just because they have hit 140k is really just throwing money away

i realise some people upgrade by the time the first set of tyres have worn , but thats consumption gone mad

franc123, Feb 4, 4:43am
Gotta love people that get paranoid about high mileage cars costing $ as they hand over thousands to trade it in on a new one without giving a second thought as to how far its going to depreciate.Either way its money you never get back!

craigsmith, Feb 4, 5:08am
I don't understand your question. Isn't the obvious answer to downgrade the Mondeo!

To a Mk3 2.0 Duratec hatchback, I mean. Perfect family car.

jojo76, Feb 4, 6:16am
We have taken a 2.3 modeo for a test drive and found it had no get up and go so thought the 2.0l would be worse!
Saving a few $$ at the pump, is going to give us a gutless car IMO.

I was just wanting to get rid of it when it was worth something.a dealer said that in a year it will be worth 2k as a trade.

We took a ford XR6 for a test drive today, gotta say it was great to drive and COMPLETELY the opposite to what we were looking for.lol

So anyways thanks again for all your help, now just have to make our minds as to wether to keep our current car or trade on another!

craig04, Feb 4, 6:28am
Yes, saving a few $ at the pump will give you a gutless car in comparison to what you have. Either you want to save money on fuel or not. You generally can't have it both ways.

wrong2, Feb 4, 6:44am
if your wanting to save money , you wont be trading the mondeo in.

youll be spending even more on top of what you spent to get the mondeo in the first place. & youll be jumping out of the mondeo before you have gotten your moneys worth

trading in based on km travelled is done if you want to maintain low risk of mechanical failure. its not done to save money

rsr72, Feb 4, 7:19am
Taking a better car for a drive gets 'em every time.

jojo76, Feb 4, 7:44am
lol.soo true

fordcrzy, Feb 4, 8:16am
your mondeo is going to expensive pretty soon. things that will start to fail soon are: CLUTCH which is about $2000-2500 to replace as the flywheel has to be replaced also. INTAKE MANIFOLD: the manifold has butterflies which wear our and can break and get sucked into the engine.REAR SUBFRAME BUSHES: wear out and require replacing.

40wav, Feb 4, 8:26am
Things will wear out on any car if you drive it around, and perish if you dont. You cant avoid maintenance. Sometimes you're better with the devil you know.

franc123, Feb 4, 9:11am
Re read the first post.It's a V6 they have currently, not a post 2001 four, and most likely automatic too.

franc123, Feb 4, 9:15am
And even then there are no guarantees!There are loads of people with late model cars that are just still within warranty or out of it by a couple of years with far less than even 100K on them that visit their dealership a hell of a lot more than they'd like to!