Ford focus as a family car!

Page 2 / 2
chris_051, Feb 4, 9:29am
I see you took a Falcon for a drive, I've no experience with the Mondeo V6 but I'd say the Falcon is just as economical, if not more and 10 times better value. I've had a few 4.0 Falcons, all high mileage ones but the best one would consistently do 7.5-7.6l/100km running up and down SH1 between Akl and Wgtn (not the best road for economy especially around the central N. Island). BAs are cheap these day, you'll get a decent XR6 or Fairmont for 10 grand and they are completley bulletproof and dependable (generally speaking). Well proven on NZ roads don't let the 4.0 give you a wrong impression of poor economy, fit an external trans cooler and stick to service intervals and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

fordcrzy, Feb 5, 1:07am
oh in that case i would DEFINITLEY dump it fast.those old mondies are RRRRRRRRubbish. even i wouldn't buy one.

craigsmith, Feb 5, 1:43am
Are you looking at new cars or what! What's your budget!

Either way the Mk3 and Mk4 Mondeos are both excellent. The Mk3 2.0 Duratec is a regular 4-cylinder alloy block that's fairly simple and reliable, and gives decent economy. Especially in manual it's gives perfectly acceptable performance. Go find a 2005+ model and try. But don't expect it to drive like an ST because obviously it won't.

If you want a four door hatchback of decent size, larger than a Focus, which is what you seem to want, then your options are very limited. Mondeo, Mazda6/Atenza, or if you are looking at new cars, they are becoming popular again - refer new Audi A5 Sportback etc.

jojo76, Feb 5, 2:40am
Our mondeo is'nt an ST just a 2003 2.5 v6 auto.
We did try a 2007 2.3 and found it gutless compared to ours.

vtecintegra, Feb 5, 2:49am
The new model is significantly bigger and heavier than the old ones.Perhaps try a diesel instead, significantly torquier

craigsmith, Mar 14, 5:18pm
If you read some reviews on the 2.3 they don't seem positive, the feeling seems to be the engine and drive train aren't optimal together and some monkey business to do with European emissions levels. Apparently you need to rev hell out of it before you get the power. I would try the 2.0 just to be complete, it won't have the same ultimate power but may feel better anyway.

But, the Mk4 is a bigger heavier car than the Mk3. I love my Mk3 but wouldn't buy a Mk4, I think they porked the design on that one. If you like your Mk3 then just switch to a newer 2.0 I4 manual, get an 06 or 07 model.

Or look at the Mazda6, they're good cars by all accounts.