Motorbike Learner.

Page 1 / 2
hoblets, Feb 2, 10:45pm
G'day guys i just got my 6L licence and was wanting some suggestions on what would be a great learning bike.I used the Suziki GN125 for the basic handling skills certificate.I was hoping to possible get the same bike however with a 250cc rating. I'm a chick, fairly strong.My husband has just got a hyosung.TOO MUCH FOR ME.just ask the brake lever :( it met the floor! thats all fixed and replaced now.So i'm open to all suggestions.I really like the look of the GSXr250 and the kawasaki zzr.Would these bikes be good to learn on.Any and all information will be gratefully received.Also i'm still a tiny bit nervous to drive on the road, and want to do a bit more carpark/secluded area work.Any ideas!

Thank you

smac, Feb 2, 11:03pm
I'm gonna get trashed for this, but , if you lack any confidence what so ever I suggest a stepthrough or other automatic until you are up to speed with your road sense.

pico42, Feb 2, 11:48pm
You will find a world of difference between the GN250 and a GSXR250/ZZR250. I would suggest that you will want to improve your riding skills before getting on one of those two (or FZR250/TZR250/CBRRRRR250's-
).

If you are still likely to put the bike down on its side, get a non-fairing style one in the meantime - less damage when it does go over. Kabanz had some good suggestions there.

berg, Feb 2, 11:58pm
Dont waste too much money on your 250 learner/restricted bike. By the time you have your full licence you will be bored to tears with a 250 and will be looking to step up.
I'm a firm believer in the GN250 as a learner bike as they are cheap to run and don't have any bad handling traits. Sure, you can spend quite a bit more and get a flash bike (Hornet, VT250 etc) but why bother if you are going to continue up to a bigger bike.
Mrs Berg had a GN250 (12,000kms in 9 months) and has now steped up to my old ER6n.
Just my opinion

bitsy_boffin, Feb 3, 12:59am
A lot of people say this, but it's not necessarily true.

A 250 is brilliant for NZ, especially now given the rego costs for higher capacities.Small, light, agile, quick.

I've been road riding for many many years, I have tried various larger bikes.I always go back to the 250.

Of course, it depends greatly on what 250.Mine at the moment is a VTZ, similar to the Spada.A GN on the other hand isn't exactly exciting.

To the original poster, a GN 250 makes a fine learner mobile, get an older model.

bigracket, Feb 3, 1:07am
I agree, Just get a GN250. Its not going to be forever ever. Its good that you are aware of your limitations ATM, First rule in bikes is know your limits and don't step over them cos if you do, well, you will most likely come off.

sifty, Feb 3, 1:10am
Fairly good resale on learner's bikes as there is a constant market for them, but this may change slightly if new learners limit regs come in.!

Best advice is to try a few out and see what fits best, you are most comfortable on. Good luck, and have fun.

unideck, Feb 3, 2:39am
Words of wisdom, buy a "naked" style bike so when you do drop it you will have far less money to spend fixing it up. GN is like OK but really its a bag of lash. Look for a good handling bike VTZ Honda, the Spada both go round corners very well. Buy a Hornet and hey, will keep up with most, fantastic bike. Z250 Scorpionis a reliable commuter too but I would say that haha.

nagano1, Feb 3, 3:07am
well done on getting your learners,
i had a gn 250 had 2 rides on it, then sold it hated the bike, now have a scorpio neat little bike even my husband likes to ride it, go to the bike dealers and sit on every bike you'll find one that suits you

hoblets, Feb 3, 4:30am
Wow you have all been so helpful.In regards to the person recommending an AUTO.Ummmm no thank you.I have no problem with the transmission or steering and such.I'm not afraid to be a learner.I was once also a car learner, 17 years ago i might add.However i have found a new passion and the SS will have to stay parked up for a while ;-) In regards to cosmetics.For sure i love the sport bike looks, however im prepared to learn first and play later.if you know what i mean.i appreciate all the feedback and will keep you posted with my decision.

ola_bitchola1, Feb 3, 5:13am
i have a rg 150 nice quick small bike being a 2 smoker its actually faster than my mates 09 ninja 250 ( much to his dismay ) and a old cb250n both have the merits the fzr or older cbrs are not bad bikes my recommendation is go ride a few that take your fancy and make your decision

ninja_man, Feb 3, 5:16am
i would say hornet 250, or klx250s

jsbike, Feb 3, 5:26am
+1, mine would do 180kph and was as fast as my mates zxr250

hoblets, Feb 3, 7:29am
g'day im exactly 5'5" and weigh 80kg.I loved the feel of driving the hyosung i just couldn't reach the floor properly, tippy toes on both sides.however my take off and stopping driving round and round the carpark was great when it came to the weaving cone work i couldnt support the weight of the bike and it came down on top of me.Fortunetly i used to kickbox and have 2'4 legs :) I didn't mark the fairings.My husband was super supportive and still supports me.I loved the feel of the GN when sitting my basic skills and picked it up first go.I definitely like the upright position over the sports low tucked in position.I would also like to add i was born blind in my right eye.OK phewwwww that was a mouthful.i hope this info helps :)

bexx13, Feb 3, 7:39am
What about a GZ250! Its the same engine as a GN but it has a more cruiser style and a nice low seat height too. I have 1 and it is super reliable and cheap to run and maintain, its not fast but it makes a nice, stylish, easy to ride commuter that will also handle open road riding.
A lower seat height and the upright riding style would suit your stature, and the smooth power delivery and ease of riding would boost your confidence and help develop riding skills. Just my 2 cents worth.

bexx13, Feb 3, 7:41am
Like this#346284201 mine is the same colour too.

hoblets, Feb 3, 8:00am
LOVE IT.However i also ABSOLUTELY love this too.

Listing #: 344714375I also changed my profile pic to a more recent.3 months ago :) so you can see my size

hoblets, Feb 3, 11:03am
People suggest test riding bikes.Do dealers allow this and if not where can youd do this!

unideck, Feb 3, 11:24am
If you want to throw perfectly good money away at a dealer go for it :) Best way and cheapest way is to buy private and take somebody with you that either has a full license and or has good sound knowledge on bikes.

Its always a good question regarding a test ride especially on a learner license. Personally I will not allow it, had two people want to come over to "take a test ride" on mine here. On one condition, bring the agreed value/asking price, leave it with me while you ride the bike. If its dropped then you own it, if you don't feel its the bike for you then I will return the money and everybody is happy. Test riding any bike from a reputable bike dealer and they will require to to sign a disclaimer and liability form, read it carefully then read it again and be sure your happy prior throwing ya leg over the seat :)

kaymay88, Feb 3, 11:59am
simply put, there is no set rule on what is best for you. You need to go sit on several different bikes, then take some for a test ride. take into account how often youll use it, comfort for longer trips, economy, and suitability for the type of riding youll be doing (commute, weekend hack, track toy, rallies etc) and then buy the one you feel overall the best about.
Anyone who says 'XXX is the best bike' is a friggin retard. every person has different needs, the best bike for one person may be a GN125, for someone else, a TZR250 would be best. YOU need to test them out YOURSELF, rather than just taking direction from what someone tells you to buy. Having said that, most of the bikes mentioned so far would be good ones to look at and compare, good luck!

kaymay88, Feb 3, 12:03pm
bollocks! for a start, a decent 250 costs at least as much, if not more than a good second hand 600. a quick look at bikes currently listed proves that. Buy a decent bike to learn on, something that gives room to grow on, then sell it, if you buy a decent 250, when you sell it, the sale price would damn near cover the cost of a second hand 600 or similar upgrade. (or make a good deposit on something like a brand new 2010 fully faired FZ6R, which I tested for someone the other day - awesome bike, and 14k brand new)
Besides, if the opnening poster is over 25, theyll be on their full in 12 months anyway!

berg, Feb 3, 8:09pm
Umm, the GN250 I brought for Mrs Berg cost $1000. Try buy a good 600cc for that. Traded it for the same $1000 9 months later with an extra 12,000kms on it.

berg, Feb 3, 10:34pm
Huh! What you on about Willis

hoblets, Feb 4, 12:38am
So i just got back from a dealership and i think i found her. OOOOOOO shes beautiful here is a similar one same year. 344714375

I sat on and it fits perfect.Has anyone owned one of these.!

:) :) :D :D :D

gunhand, Feb 4, 1:57am
Good choice well proven bike. Pretty much same engine as the new 250 ninja but different clothes. You do realise that with these types of 250s nothing much happens untill the 9000rpm mark then you will find out how well it goes, for a 250 anyway. The older cbr 250s are a good we bike but getting long in the tooth now.
Keep it tidy and treat it well and you should get most of your money back. And as some have said you will want to trade up once you get sick of revving the shit out of it to go anywhere. If all you are doing is comuting well it may be just fine for years. If you get into touring you will soon find the limitations of 250s and become fustrated.
We have all been there and done that lol.
Good luck and welcome to the world of motorcycling.