Advice needed re mechanics

chch21, Dec 16, 8:12am
Hubby took his automatic 4WD into a mechanic as it seemed to be getting stuck in 2nd. Mechanic replaced a part with a second hand part for around $250. A few days later the fault reappeared so took car back. Was advised that the part had probably failed, and as it was second hand there was no guarentee on it. Parted with another $500 or so for a brand new part. Few weeks later problem reappeared again. Took it to them again, they send it somewhere else for diagnosis, turns out to be a different part all together, so the mechanic repairs this part and tries charging another $500. What are our rights in this! Surely we shouldn't have had to part with so much $ just because they couldn't get it right the first time! Advice please!

horsepower7, Dec 16, 8:17am
if they stuffed up then you shouldnt have to pay, but the part they fixed may have been a problem at first. sometimes its hard to figure out what the exact problem is.and sometimes, one thing triggers another. but sounds like they stuffed up. hope you get some money back.

beblowin, Dec 16, 8:26am
what type of 4wd are we talking aboult! and also what parts were replaced, it should be on his invoice, there should be a 30daywarrenty on second parts there for you shouldnt have to pay again, are they a mta garage! if so complain to the mta, if not you may not get anything from them unless you take them to small claims court.

chch21, Dec 16, 8:37am
The first part they were replacing was a speed sensor, turned out to be a soloniod! Trying to search the MTA website and they don't seem to be accredited. Damn it!

owene, Dec 16, 11:30am
Don't bother with the MTA anyway - they represent the garage, not you. Been there done that, waste of time and membership means nothing.

crzyhrse, Dec 16, 1:16pm
You have the right to be refunded for the costs arising from the incorrect diagnosis. If they don't agree simply lodge a claim with the Disputes Tribunal.

strobo, Dec 16, 6:15pm
Any clues ! googleearth ref numbers .who!

ceebee2, Dec 17, 1:52am
Talk to the Manager first before jumping in at the deep end. Don't throw a fit, but discuss rationally. The most important thing is to DOCUMENT everything even if it means getting them to sign statements (Good luck on that one) I have dealt with a few disgruntled customers and usually work out an agreeable solution that both parties are happy with. I encourage dialogue before angry reaction.

msigg, Dec 17, 3:20am
Pay the bill to the poor mechanic ,whats $500.If you don't he might take the new part back out and put your old dunga back in. sometime they don't get it right, they are not God. i bet you get things wrong sometimes too. best bet is to negotiate.

owene, Dec 17, 4:43am
To quite a few people $500 is a fair hunk of cash. In any event, as there was mention of the MTA above, the mechanic will still have been paid his wages, it's the garage proprieter (or is it the same person!) that you are unhappy with.

From what you've described, I'd write to them and if no conclusion after 28 days, Disputes Tribunal it.

alan1111, Dec 17, 5:34am
Not all mechanics get it right 1st time. 2 months ago i accidently put the wrong grade oil in a late model 4wd yep it happens. It stuffed up the fuel pump i made the mistake so i had to cop the $2400.00 repair bill.
Some jobs are really hard to diagnoise and get right 1st time so talk to the mechanic and see what happens.Then threaten him with disputes tribunal then tell him you will tell eveyone on Facebook lol.No workshop wants a bad reputation cant afford it these days.