Toyota mechanics help

Page 1 / 2
laidbare, Dec 24, 3:36am
hi there ive just completed a cambelt ona 99 lexus/altezza 3sge engine timing is spot on but now it starts and idles but wont rev!ive double checked timing and computor show no codes any idea where to look next as it was apparantly running ok before,i never drove it so cannot confirm any ideas please

unbeatabull, Dec 24, 4:35am
Sounds like a trick I played on the apprentice a wee while ago . you checked the Throttle Cable/Throttle Position sensor/Electric Throttle Controlare all connected!

laidbare, Dec 24, 5:19am
hi there all sensors etc all connected!

snoopy221, Dec 24, 5:27am
Actually sorta sounds like maybe a **triple** check on dat valve timing-even to the extent of pullin the cam cover off and T D C'n and rockin.

what timing marks are ya using!

motorway, Dec 24, 5:56am
I have just done belt, seals, tensioner w/pump on my 3SGE Fraser 7 which has had all the covers and backplates removed for lightness and found this very helpful.
http://www.celicagt.nl/Docs/st202_rm396e.pdf

unbeatabull, Dec 24, 5:57am
What happens when ya put the throttle down! Does it try and rev and cough/misfire or no power there at all!

laidbare, Dec 24, 7:03am
ive had a mechanic work mate check the timing to just as a second opinion he also said its fine and cant work out whats gone wrong,itll idle fine just when you go to rev its just chuggy and flat lke when an airflow meter is crook

snoopy221, Dec 24, 7:23am
ive had a mechanic work mate check the timing to just as a second opinion

well perhaps then he could answer my question as to
what timing marks you are using.

snoopy221, Dec 24, 7:24am
computor show no codes
also perhaps your.a mechanic work mate
could explain what code checking process was used!

snoopy221, Dec 24, 7:28am
put it this way-i'd be using the mirror and a light-doing a *rock TDC check*
then an ECU+B and a TE1 and E1.
However if these terms are unfamiliar to you and your mechanic.

unbeatabull, Dec 24, 8:23am
Made sure everything is plugged in, all crank/cam angle sensors, airflow meter etc etc.

If timing was out by a lot I would think it would chuck a light on the dash due to knock/detonation or something along those lines

msigg, Dec 24, 9:08am
If the timing was way out it would not idle nice, and at the same revs as before.

r15, Dec 24, 12:51pm
have seen one before with the timing out 1 tooth, exhaust 1t advanced from memory, it went fine until it warmed up a little bit then the computer would fault and chuck it into limp mode

ozz1, Dec 25, 1:22am
vvt !exhaust camout.asabove by r15

laidbare, Dec 25, 9:05am
hi all and thanks for replies as for your questions snoopy we are using the two lines on front of cams which line up with lines on back cover plus theres two dots that line upin the centre of the two cams as for the crank we used the arrow on the back housing with the line on the crankpulley also we check with bottom pulley and front cover.as for check codes we used a carman scannerany more ideas!

gadgit3, Dec 25, 11:21pm
Did you have the cam pulleys off!

alan1111, Dec 26, 12:32am
I love it when non mechanics try and do the jobs themselves then stuff it up. As someone has said before what timing marks you using !
Take it to a real mechanic to get fixed i charge 100 bucks a hour on public holidays lol

ralphdog1, Dec 26, 12:36am
So because they are "non mechanics" they should just pay up and shut up huh!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 26, 12:40am
I am a non-mechanic, and I have fixed up plenty of "real mechanics" stuff ups in my time. Of course the "real mechanics" blamed the car because it wasn't a Toyota instead of their own incompetence.

That said there are some supurb mechanics out there too whom I could learn a lot from.

The point is, we all have to start somewhere and giving things a go ourselves is an admirable trait not something to be ridiculed.

mugenb20b, Dec 26, 12:42am
I think that he was just bluntly trying to say that such a job should not be attempted unless you are 101% certain you know what you're doing.
On the other hand, assuming the timing marks are spot on, I think that one of the sensors was left unplugged or a hose not connected (vacuum / air leak).

ralphdog1, Dec 26, 12:50am
On that basis none of us would ever learn anything. The OP has got himself in some bother and has the brains to come and ask for advice, don't see how telling him he should not have started the job is helpful in anyway.
Some would see it as arrogant.

mugenb20b, Dec 26, 12:54am
That's true.

laidbare, Dec 26, 3:03am
well well well to all the critics i am actually a mechanic and ive used correct timing marks i didnt disconnect any electrical parts and ive only replaced the water pump and cambelt but for some reason its all gone to shit just need to know if anyone else has come across this problem or have some decent advise so is there any decent advice!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 26, 3:05am
My advice is to post this on an international Lexus/Toyota forum as well. Surely someone has had the same problem.

gadgit3, Dec 26, 3:44am
Well I did ask if you had the cam pulleys off! yes I have come across the problem. Causes are low oil pressure to cam pulley or vvti solenoid sezied also one tooth out on the exhaust cam.