Whats the best and cheapest insurance

charlie8005, Feb 7, 9:55pm
company to go through for someone whos under 25 and on restricted!

phillip.weston, Feb 7, 10:09pm
best and cheapest probably doesn't go together. You may be paying the cheapest but it perhaps wouldn't be the best in terms of comprehensive cover, theft excess or how good they truly are when it comes time to pay out.

That said I would recommend CLIC car insurance - good prices, friendly staff etc.

johnf_456, Feb 7, 10:14pm
The cheapest insurance you can have is been a good driver and reducing the risk.

vtecintegra, Feb 7, 10:19pm
I don't know about best, but for me State is cheapest and I've never had an issue with them paying out (although they're not very good at hurrying repairers up, or chasing at fault people for your excess)

phillip.weston, Feb 7, 10:22pm
I've found State to be terrible - they hiked their premium prices up a few years back, they pay their repairers the least out of all the insurance companies, and they happily de-value your car faster than what it would do in reality. They cancelled my car policy because I thought I was doing the right thing by letting them know I put a set of alloy wheels on the car, which pushed it over the modification threshold, only just I might add. Being a loyal customer with three other policies with them didn't matter to them, so I shifted my buisness elsewhere and couldn't be happier.

charlie8005, Feb 7, 10:27pm
hmmm i havnt gota boy racer type car and hav heard that u can only go thruCLIC if u have a boyracer car. I was deciding to go thru state but after ive read that im not so sure

stevel_knievel, Feb 7, 10:38pm
AMI was the cheapest when I had my restricted. I only went for third party though as cost of full insurance annually was more than the car was worth - if I could do it again I'd go for third party fire and theft (grrr) with glass coverage. Of course, that depends on the value of your car.

johnf_456, Feb 7, 10:38pm
State are shocking to deal with, poor customer service, give you the run around, don't chase things up. I find ami okay to deal with

charlie8005, Feb 7, 10:39pm
I have a 94 honda civic so not sure what i should insure it for want to insure it more for what i paid for it

_peas, Feb 8, 5:23am
NZI was hell to deal with too regarding claiming on anothers policy (only had 3rd party)It is ridiculous to charge more in an annual premium. they are basically saying that "you will write your car off this year".I'd just start 3rd party. drive carefully and once you have a couple of years or magically turn 25 you'll get a better deal.

_peas, Feb 8, 5:24am
Just remember that the you will be paying the higher premiums for the higher value insured.Waste of money unless its actually worth that much.

franc123, Feb 8, 5:41am
You might not get a better deal if you are with State lol.I insured my first car with them when I was 17, and two others subsequently and by 25 had been totally claim free and driven about 140,000km in that time.The next policy renewal after my 25th birthday my premium went UP, and the amount insured went down, in the traditional fashion.After ringing them and reminding them of my age and no claim record and asking to please explain the rep said there was no mistake.One phonecall to AA, of which I was already a member, dropped my premiums instantly by about 25%.I told them to and shove their policy up their backside, so much for customer loyalty and rewards.

marcos1, Feb 8, 5:51am
State , NZI, IAG .same crappy company.Budget insurance at your own risk.

But that's just my professional opinion.

gav-deb, Feb 8, 9:13am
I'm with clic car insurance at the moment (although I do have a modified car/I'm 20) and they have been awesome customer service wise. I've sent them a few e-mails and they have called the next working day and I'm always speaking with someone I can understand etc. I'm paying just over $900 a year which was the best value for money at the time. I'd imagine having a clean driving record is the first start for cheaper insurance.

wpmoore, Feb 8, 1:47pm
Clic car insurance is run by AMI insurance.
Always found AMI excellent with claims etc.

icemans1, Feb 8, 1:53pm
i was with state many years ago, took me a year to get my excess back, told them to stick their policy, been with AMI ever since, no problems!

charlie8005, Feb 8, 9:09pm
I decided to sign up with AMI only have 3rd party fire and theift and also covers window screen as well my cousin told me i should have gone with Fintel

girlracer2005, Feb 8, 10:20pm
ive not had any problems with bnz with use iag/state had one clam with them pay out just about right away (it was xmas)

illusion_, Mar 27, 10:16pm
my 2 cents worth

the car is not worth a great deal . perhaps around the $1000 mark
in the event of a "write-off" you will only get what is determined the "market value" less any excess, and believe me they WILL write it off if the damage to that car is going to cost more than say $300 to fix. simple economics.

So . IMHO, you would be best financially to go for "Third party, Fire, and Theft" insurance and be a good careful driver. If the worst happens you can always sell the "wreck" as parts yourself, or flog it off to a wrecker.