Fitting 302 Cleveland into XY Falcon!

Page 2 / 3
extrayda, Feb 7, 10:21am
Just stroke the 302 to a 351 :-)
I've had a 302C XA, 351C XA and 460L XA (302 & 460 were the same car).
To be honest, I liked the 351C best of the lot.Never had any real issues with it either.Haven't owned a windsor, but in those days they had poor cylinder heads - people put the Cleveland heads on them to make them go (BOSS).Nowadays there is plenty of options for heads, so probably a lot easier.

elect70, Feb 7, 11:50pm
Funny thing isyankhot rodderswent for the aussie clevland blocks ,said they were better casting & had stonger websthan windsors

sifty, Feb 8, 1:09am
A couple of advantagesof the windsor:

1) It is teeny compared to the clevo lump, lots of room around it, and
2) There are lots of bolt-on bits available via the states

(as they've been making them since around 1490). I think Columbus had a windsor driving the fire pump on the Santa Maria.

quickstitch, Feb 8, 1:51am
couple of things i like about the cleveland compared to windsor. they are robust, reliable, produce torque, and every cleveland is a good one, not like the windsors where some years the 302 was so down on power you would be going backward if you repowered a six cylinder. and clevelands dont need much to get big horsepower,they take a good size flywheel (so can put a good strong clutch on them)

ryans, Feb 8, 5:38am
Rev a Windsor and a Cleveland and have a listen. A Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant, when a Cleveland will sound like Satan has woken up with a hangover and realized he is out of coffee and cigarettes.

1fordluva, Feb 8, 5:42am
Ha ha ha what planet are you on.windsor = half the cost of a clevo as far as parts go.
Angry windsor and clevo sound the same,the only one "wheezing" is you mate pmsl

quickstitch, Feb 8, 5:52am
spend under $10000 on a cleveland rebuild and you will have 500-550 hp. a set or CHI or procomp heads and a intake manifold. Of course you dont need to buy the aftermarket heads, that can be achieved with a set of factory 4Vs. but by the time you do the machining and buy S/S valves you wont be saving much on a new set of alloys. what can you squeeze out of a budget set of windsor heads, 400-450 hp! and they will need a lot of port work

lookoutas, Feb 8, 6:03am
Always turns into a bun-fight doesn't it :)
Is there a difference between the 302C & 351C engine mounts!
I would've thought not. And that was close to the OP question. And couldn't XA mounts be made to fit! If they don't already
But I don't know. (Gotta get that in before a knife lodges itself into my back)

lookoutas, Feb 8, 6:15am
I've never owned a car with a Windsor. But my first Mustang with a 351 Cobra Jet hooked to a Top Loader, was an awesome car.

quickstitch, Feb 8, 6:24am
yeah the 351 boss, cobra jet, GT were the 4V, very strong motors. back to original question, you will need V8 crossmember mounts (pedistals) but the engine mounts on the motor are fine, all the same in the early falcons/mustangs

lookoutas, Feb 8, 7:29am
Sorry quickie - at the risk of being called a "train spotter"
The 351 Boss 4V engine is an R-Code, about 330hp and available in the 71 Boss, but excess engines were carried over as an option in 72 until all used up.
The 351 CJ 4V is a Q-Code at about 280hp, available 71 - 73. The CJ wasn't a Boss engine.

lookoutas, Feb 8, 7:46am
Although they were the same engines.

quickstitch, Feb 8, 7:47am
yes, i was just trying to group them all together, the boss,CJ and the aussie GT motors, Commonly know by their heads as the 4Vs. All similar except for the cam and valvetrain, pedistal and stud mounted rockers, as i'm sure you know.

cujo38, Feb 8, 7:54am
Hmmmwe have the V8 crossmember mounts and original engine mounts.Forgot to mention earlier that the motor was originally out of a fairlane and the xy was originally 6 cylindar, would this make any difference.The mounts will not line up to the holes.They are way to far out to even adjust.Cheers

quickstitch, Feb 8, 8:00am
what model fairlane ! if its an early one, xy shape, ZD then the mounts are the same. if its a 73 onwards then they mount will suit xa falcon onwards, not xr-xy

cujo38, Feb 8, 8:05am
O.kThat may make some sense.I think it was 75 ish.Does anyone know where we can get some engine mounts to bolt this cleveland into the xy!Thank you all for your help and interesting comments

quickstitch, Feb 8, 8:08am
performance parts in Papakura, Auckland have them otherwise a classis wrecker may have some.

cujo38, Feb 8, 8:13am
Awesome, thanks.Will try them tommorow.

ema1, Feb 8, 8:57am
302 Cleveland Ford V8 engines are peculiar to Australia only.
None of these were made in USA or Canada.
Windsor only in the 302cid size over there.
302 Cleveland's were Nick named ."Down Under Ford V8 Block".when I was in the trade.
351cid C conversion kits were available for the 302C basically the blocks were similar or possibly the same with odd variations!

lookoutas, Feb 8, 9:48am
Wrong quickie - I know FA about the rockers, just read the book & worn the T-shirt. Never had one apart.
Let us know how you get on cujo

fordgod, Feb 8, 10:18am
Ivan at ford haven may be the man to talk to. Ive got xa base plates but they wont bolt straight into xy.

ryans, Feb 9, 8:17am
Or Steve at Ford Farm a bit further north, he's cheaper and delivers to Auckland for a small price, or maybe free if you order enough, like I did.

elect70, Feb 9, 11:25pm
Clevo exhaust ports were problem to make real HPwith . There is a mod where they cut back the ports & fit a machined block which puts the ports higher . Bloody expensive to do .

quickstitch, Feb 10, 6:30am
hi-port plates, a mod for serious race engines, but 500+ hp out of stock heads is nothing to be sneezed at. and as for the people that are quick to mention the clevelands oiling problem, what a joke. street motors dont have a problem, nor did the clevelands that cleaned up in the six hour bathurst races. And an oil restrictor kit costs about $5, it is just four grub screws with small holes drilled in them. So in the big picture of building a performance motor, it isn't an issue is it, probably the cheapest part you will buy in a rebuild

1fordluva, Apr 2, 9:40pm
I know a bloke in aussie that has built hundreds of clevos over 30 years,that would disagree with you quickstich,but they dont do the same sort of km's here,as they do over there.