Volvo V5 2.4 2004 wagon

Page 2 / 2
retropearl, Feb 10, 9:08pm
It's the sage green one advertised here on TM, in Welly. It will basically be a town runner, will seldom travel out of Wellington I'd imagine. When is cambelt due if it's already done 85k! is it normally 100 for these!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 10, 10:47pm
Best to call Audi and check. I have a feeling the km interval may have been increased from 100K to 130K on that model but don't quote me.

Anyhow the km interval is likely irrelevance in your case as its an age issue. Find out from Audi exactly how long time wise between changes, I am expecting around 7 years (maybe 5). Also. and this is SUPER important find out if it would have been fitted with a plastic impeller waterpump from new. If there is no concrete evidence the waterpump has been changed (assuming a plastic one new) this needs to be done immediately.

Make sure thats ABSOLUTELY clear to them as if its fitted with a plastic impellar pump its well due to fly apart, more than likely taking out the cambelt, valves and possibly pistons in the process.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 10, 10:49pm
Also. be very wary if anyone tells you its got an interval of more than 7 years. There are a few vehicles around with supposed 10 year intervals but I would be very very reluctant to leave one that long. The rubber compound used in cambelts is much the same for all cars and it tends to break down at a similar rate. Some cars stress the belts a bit less by design so they stretch the interval but its not really a good gamble to take.

BTW, don't take my comments as doom and gloom about the car. They are an amazing vehicle and very reliable. No cause for commiseration at all in my opinion. I would be more concerned with finding any opportunity to borrow it!

Just to give you a rough idea on cost, expect roughly around $1500 for a full cambelt, tensioner, waterpump job on one of those. If you get quoted significantly more then shop around and compare. Make sure they use genuine parts.

retropearl, Feb 10, 11:51pm
Alrighty Jazz.will pass this on to the folks. cheers.

cocabowla, Feb 11, 1:47am
and yet when asked about the focus a few months back out of curiousity you said they should be ok but you didnt have any personal experience with them.

retropearl, Apr 5, 3:56pm
Wow! I just went for a spin in it! a lot of car for your coin! got so many features to mention! no expense spared!it's quite fast too! hehehe.my first drive in a luxury euro! very very impressed! The adjustable suspension is cool.In the meantime I'll just drool over it .