Volvo V5 2.4 2004 wagon

Page 1 / 2
retropearl, Feb 9, 9:58pm
Hiya's,
Inlaws are interested in purchasing this car, really haven't looked around.rather buy the first thing they see. Asking price is $20,290, done 75k. I'm thinking they'd be better of with either a Caldina or Mazda 6 in this year. It would be used mainly as a shopping basket, dropping our kids off to school down the road.
They're driving currently a manual 1996 lantra wagon (prob trade in), done around 150ks, still going ok. What's the reliability and parts price wise of this volvo. As I said it would never travel out of Wellington area, more of a town runner. Do these cars have a cambelt! What would your recommendations be!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 9, 10:27pm
They are a great car but you need to be aware of a few things.
1. Price - Thats a LOT of money for a Volvo, with those km's and year it shouldn't be much more than half that price. Here is one to give you an idea on pricing but even this one is a little on the high side. 350988798

2. Volvo's are a bit of a pain for parts pricing. Unlike VW, Audi, BMW etc there is a bit of a shortage of 3rd party parts importers, the result is parts are expensive, unless you don't mind ordering you bits online when things like the cambelt are coming due.

3. Yes its a cambelt engine, doing the cambelt is not very difficult but getting the parts through Volvo NZ will see you paying up around $1500 just in parts to do the job properly. By comparison I recently ordered everything required including a genuine waterpump and a whole lot of other extras like spark plugs and filters for $700NZ delivered to my door.

In short, I think the Volvo could be a great choice but think carefully about price. There are some throttle body issues you will hear about with Volvo's but at 2004 should be outside the window of those problems.

Also, seriously consider the Audi/VW product. The VW/Audi stuff is also very well priced and has the advantage of parts being more plentiful and exceptionally well priced. A Passat Wagon may suit them well.

One last thing, with Volvo's in general there are a lot of ex-singaporian imports, some of which are not so great due to their climate. Try and stick to a good NZ or Japanese new one. Remember too with cambelts you change them based on km's traveled AND age. for example some models are 100'000km OR 5 years which ever comes first.

If you take your time and buy a good example for a good price the Volvo is very difficult to beat. If it were my kids being carted around I would be VERY happy if it was in one of those.

EDIT, just spotted the car I think they have in mind being a V50 it is worth a bit more than the model I thought it would have been. still pushing it a bit on price though, if they can arm twist down a little bit it should be O.K buying.

The cambelt should be done including tensioners and waterpump about now based on age (7 years) don't let them tell you its not due yet. Getting this all sorted properly is another way of wrangling some value.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 9, 10:30pm
Just read your commend about the Caldina or Mazda, as a car the Volvo is loads better than a Caldina and I would still prefer it over the Mazda.

If you want something thats perhaps more simple and economical then I would advise going for a VW Touran, nothing comes close on value for money or power/economy. They give you the best of everything, buy price, economy, power, features, safety, reliability etc. simply miles ahead of anything Asian in the same price range.
The parts for those are usually better value than Toyota etc too.

retropearl, Feb 9, 10:53pm
cheers Jazz! very imformative. I'll pass this on. I was thinking also along the lines of a 2009 ford focus would be ideal, easily under 20k with low Kms with all the whistle and bells.At the end of the day it's their decision I guess. I'll get them to check out the VW Passat wagons too.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 9, 11:09pm
Hi retropearl,
As a big Mondeo fan I say this looking at the Focus in the best possible light. If they are looking at an Auto the Focus is not that great. Its mostly the gearbox that lets it down.
If I was looking at something like the Focus I would flag that and go for the VW Golf every time. The VW is light years ahead with much better power/economy and the 6/7 speed DSG box (like driving an auto) is a delight to drive in Wellington hills. The VW is also better value overall and I expect will depreciate less in the next few years.

You can get a fabulous example around 15K (Been some good ones for 13K even). Take the Golf and the Ford for a good drive aroundwellingtons hills and see the difference for yourself. Likewise a good run in the Volvo will help you understand the appeal too.

The Touran by the way is just a stretched Golf with a high roof and an extra row of fold down seats.

If I was picking an under 20K car for running a couple of kids around and general use I would pick the Golf every time. BTW, don't be put off with the Golf being a 2.0 litre, it will use less gas than a smaller Focus Auto in Wellington conditions. .seriously!

With the Golf the year dosn't matter much so long as its the new model (MK5 Which starts in 2004) generally I would pick one on condition and km's more so than year as long as its the MK5 or newer. If value is a concern then staying around 2005 and leaving 5K in your pocket is not a bad strategy, in terms of vehicle the technology is much the same up to the new ones.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 9, 11:15pm
291386507 Something like this would be my pick (and would be great to test drive through some hills etc for a comparison to the Focus). Set it up straight away with a new cambelt, tensioners, waterpump and a full service and you should have a car thats all good to go for another 6 years with just minor maintenance and minimal depreciation.

For that price you should just about be able to negotiate the service etc as part of the price.

retropearl, Feb 9, 11:19pm
ok, will get them to take a VW for a spin too.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 9, 11:21pm
Sweet! Will be interesting to see how the find it. My Folks loved theirs BTW (Golf), and in an interesting plot twist actually have a similar Volvo to what you are looking at at the moment as well!
Good luck with it all, would be great to hear how you get on. If they buy either and need advice on parts/servicing feel free to give me a hollar!

Don't feel too bad if they go back to the Volvo, it might be a little pricy for what it is but its still a LOT of car for the money. So long as they shop around at major service time its not going to be too much ofa price penalty at the end of the day. The 2.4 is also not that terrible on gas even knocking around town (although its no VW. but then few cars are that economical)

retropearl, Feb 9, 11:43pm
Yup, will let you know of outcome. I'm guessing they want something a bit more prestigious then the lantra they have now and had a good run out of that. I also think they want to experience driving something a bit more grand now getting at that age have never owned a quality car before. Wife said they're not worried about cost of servicing it and have factored this into it. IF they decide to go for the volvo I'll tell them to haggle and get the cambelt/waterpump etc done before driving it away.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 10, 12:04am
Super sounds good.
BTW, as you probably know Audi/VW is the same company. If they like the smaller Golf but want something a bit more luxurious you can get Audi's with the same great motors and the awsome DSG gearbox. Plus of course the parts are the same price despite the prestige attached. just a thought as it gives the best of both worlds.

Good on them anyhow for having somethinga bit flash for a change. My folks are the same and get a lot of pleasure out of owning a "Nice" car.

Given their objectives the Volvo may actually suit them well as they do have that luxurious ride quality that appeals to a certain age group. I have a lot of faith in the 2.4 5 Cylinder its a very well proven engine so even though they have not shopped around a lot its likely going to suit them well.

Most importantly the seem very aware of the extra cost of parts etc which is the main thing. and in reality when you look at running costs as a whole an extra few hundred a year in servicing is probably here nor there.

The 2004 onwards Volvos are also over a couple of niggles that marred a great history of reliability. Despite the prestige Volvo's have a history if doing massive km's with very little going wrong.

Its always hard as you and I might place a greater premium on that extra bit of economy, a little less depreciation etc but we are a different age group with different priorities.

Anyhow, I will leave you to it. enough lengthy posts from me!

retropearl, Feb 10, 2:24am
Jazz - just had update from my wife, they ended up buying a 2002 Audi wagon, I think paid around 21k! traded in other car.I'll see it tomorrow. Find out more about it 2nite.

russ6, Feb 10, 2:49am
Ohhh, I wonder which model Audi etc. Scenario is got huge trade-in for the Lantra and paid way too much for the Audi. I wonder!

retropearl, Feb 10, 3:09am
prob didn't get much for trading in the Lantra, maybe $1000-$1500!, 21k sounds quite excessive I thought too. No idea what model either. I'd say asking price was $21k, then less trade in.

fordcrzy, Feb 10, 4:03am
ouch that sound VERY expensive for an audi wagon. i hate seeing people get ripped off.

smac, Feb 10, 4:46am
You guys can tell without knowing the k's and model! Wow, you're better than I thought!

retropearl, Feb 10, 4:56am
Ok, I've been told they paid $21k for it.a friend is going to buy the lantra for 1k apparently. So, no trade in. I'm trying to find out the finer details.what model.back later

by_hdt, Feb 10, 5:18am
I did a timing belt, tensioner, idler, accessories belt and water pump on a V70 (simliar engine) and the job was $1200 all up, so I dont know where $1500 just for parts came from. And yes, I am a Volvo Agent using Genuine Volvo Parts.

Id also like to clear up the comment that late model Volvos are no good, the V50, and its S40 and C30 cousins are among the most reliable cars Volvo has produced and that includes the "bulletproof" 200, 700 and 900 cars.

retropearl, Feb 10, 5:51am
ok, they paid 21K and that was apparently reduced already, also found out you can adjust suspension whatever that means.still don't know which model.anyone got an idea!.it's 2002. I asked if they tried lowering price but no.if I was there it would be different story!.anything is nego. if you ask! and said 160k when new.like 8 years ago.

retropearl, Feb 10, 5:52am
oh, done 75,000km if that's any help with the pricing!

retropearl, Feb 10, 7:39am
I can now confirm it's an Audi Allroad

smac, Feb 10, 7:19pm
Heh.exactly. SO once you know the details, the price isn't out of whack at all.

zirconium, Feb 10, 7:34pm
Wow, sounds like my dream car! :) Good on them hope they will be very happy with it! And you will know your kids are safe AND comfortable! :)

thejazzpianoma, Feb 10, 8:18pm
Hi retropearl,
Given it turns out its an allroad thats not actually too bad, they carry quite a price premium over a regular A6 They are a great car. Again, just check when the cambelt was done, both age and milage, its also VERY important to know that the waterpump has been replaced with one with a metal impeller. The factory plastic one tends to fly apart often with catastrophic results (as in just about cheaper to start with a new engine). I am of course assuming here its the 2.7 Turbo.

Other than that though they are a lovely vehicle. Also a good reliable choice in terms of a well featured luxury car. See if you can borrow it for a ski trip sometime!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 10, 8:23pm
1. Where is this comment that late model Volvo's are no good!

2. Who do you trade as! If you are prepared to do more complete cambelt/tensioner/waterpump changes for $1200 all up I will send you some business (Just don't expect a rush as you are in Napier). Ebbets Volvo in Tauranga quoted $1200 just for a cambelt and Archibald and Shorter quoted $1500 for parts but would give a 10% Discount if they did the labour.

These quotes were obtained in November last year.

curlcrown, Feb 10, 8:27pm
Wow I hope they get well over 10 grand for the trade in.