Manual Traffic Control

bitsy_boffin, Apr 8, 2:12am
Gah, I just witnessed the worst attempt at manual traffic control I have ever seen.Blenheim-Curletts intersection (Christchurch) for the Coast to Coast cyclists.

Instead of just switching the lights to flashing amber and putting a cop or two in the middle to manually direct for the day, they had 2 or 3 police, when a cyclist seemed to be coming one of them would switch the lights to flashing interrupting the sequence, then they'd run out and stop lanes seemingly at random, manually direct in some again seemingly incoherent fashion for a couple of minutes, then run back and switch the lights back on, for all of 30 seconds until the next cyclist was spotted.

Traffic was backed up over the over bridge and a good ways down the motorway (with me stuck in it), from the top of the overbridge I saw several occasions where the blenheim road traffic was stopped to allow the cyclists to go through and over the bridge, rightly, but the idiot cop was blocking the through lanes for people coming from the overbridge and carrying on down the road, not crossing the cyclists path.

Then of course they'd run back and turn the lights on, only of course now the sequence was back to blenheim road traffic again!More and more vehicles must have been piling up back down the motorway.

End Rant.