LED Driving Lights. Just doing a quick search i noticed there are rather a lot on tm at the mo i was originally looking at ones

mustang-man, Feb 7, 11:41am
Just doing a quick search i noticed there are rather a lot on TM at the mo. I was originally looking at ones from JayCar. 'looking' because they are $180! :o When compared to the prices of lights on TM here, it seems incredibly excessive - like they are trying to pay for their Fiji getaway!

For those in the know, are the ones in JayCar any good! Are the $40 ones on TradeMe just as good! Really not keen at all to spend over $100 if i don't have to. Just want some nice driving lights so i don't have to use the normal lights.

They will be professionally installed as per the requirements, so they turn on with the car, off with the car and off when the main lights are turned on.

mustang-man, Feb 7, 11:47am

vtecintegra, Feb 7, 11:51am
Those are NOT a replacement for your normal lights - please do go driving round in the dark with them on.

mustang-man, Feb 7, 12:14pm
Re-read my first post please, specifically the last paragraph. I suppose i should have used their other name, 'Daytime running lights'.

And considering my last driving lights didn't even register a light pattern, i don't expect these to either - which means they aren't suited for headlamp alternatives. ;)

EDIT: I always try drive with the lights on as you're more easily seen (hence why motorbikes now have to have lights on by law). Would just rather have proper driving lights other than the normal ones.

clark20, Feb 7, 6:49pm
You get what you pay for, and the $40 will not be approved, you want ADR or ECE compliant ones. You can get the Hella ones at TWL or BNT for around $220.

illusion_, Feb 7, 8:47pm
You also need to recognise the difference between "driving lights" and "running lights", even though the terminology is possibly confusing.
"Driving lights" are going to be likediffused spotlights (even brighter than your main headlights) and LED anything is just not going to do that
"Running lights", which leds will do well, are going to be like your park lights.

toominator_phil, Feb 7, 10:11pm
Get the Hella DRL. Yes they cost more, but they actually work. You'll probably spend more fluffing around buying cheapies that don't work. Well they do work but you'd probably be better off with park lights on. The Hella DRL are very effective and can be seen from miles away without dazzling. I had a few people come up and ask me about mine when I still had my terrano. TWL often runs specials on Hella lighting

rsr72, Feb 7, 10:28pm
Dreadful things, LED park/side-lights.
Cars are cars, not a piece of jewellry.

moosie_21, Feb 7, 11:29pm
Does your car run an invisibility shield during the day! Has everyone become near-blind over the last 3 years! Seriously, spend it on something that NEEDS to be done to the car (e.g. better oil/filter, a tune-up etc.) than on these.

richardmayes, Feb 7, 11:32pm
Moosie -
It is a good idea to have lights going, it reduces the number of retards pulling out / stepping out in front of you quite noticably.

rsr -
I have seen a few new Audis running around with LED 'look at me' lights lately. They definitely stand out.

OP-
But if you are buying extra lights on TM for this purpose, you are a ricer! Headlights come free with most vehicles I've driven.

pandai, Feb 7, 11:34pm
They're good for the utter twits that don't use their lights in bad weather or when it's getting dark, that are hard to see, because their silver econobox is the same colour as the sky.

rsr72, Feb 8, 1:15am
Makes 'em look pretty though.

dent, Feb 8, 6:33am
whats wrong with using the normal lights!

bigfatmat1, Feb 8, 7:29am
Cheap led daytime runners are cheap they are mainly non approved could be failed by picky inspector. The leds are driven hard to keep costs down and basically do not last. The hella ones are easily installed because they are three wire power earth and park lights so when ya turn ya lights on the turn out doing away with the needs of a relay ect. are adr approved and have good mounting systems they get my tick of approval

mustang-man, Feb 11, 5:17am
Firstly, thanks a lot all for your help/opinions. :) Prolly won't go the cheap way now that its yet another clash of cheapness and quality (how surprising!).

Are the Hella ones better than the ones in JayCar in my second post!

Because they are for night time/low light/visibility. And don't look as nice. And wear out the bulbs/switch quicker. (etc) The driving/running lights you never have to turn on and off as they do it when the car starts and stops (if you get it wired up to do so, which legally you have to). And they look nicer.

clark20, Feb 11, 6:59am

toominator_phil, Feb 11, 8:28am
Had those ones on my terrano, they're super bright!
copy and paste the link to see them going: http://tiny.cc/terrano-drl

They take a bit more to install than the ones that automatically cut out. They're pretty easy to put in anyway though

mustang-man, Apr 25, 3:17am
Well i checked those ones out at my local supplier today (albeit in catalogue form) - $185. Only $5 more than the JayCar ones. :)