Car turns its lights on by itself.

scarlett-raine, Dec 9, 7:33am
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this!

I have a 1992 Nissan Primera, and lately I have noticed that it has been turning its lights on by itself.While I'm driving I'll notice the high-beam indicator go on, and just a tap of the knob will make them go off.Twice now I have gone out to the car in the morning to find that the lights have turned themselves on during the night, causing the battery to be completely flat.

Anyone able to help please!

iman007, Dec 9, 7:34am
0800ghostbusters

chito, Dec 9, 7:40am
Put your light switch into another position.

grangies, Dec 9, 7:42am
Yep.

Just undo the battery every time you park the car.

a.woodrow, Dec 9, 7:49am
you most likely need a new light switch

scarlett-raine, Dec 9, 7:58am
That's exactly what my mother said.
I have the switch in a different position for tonight, so will see how things are in the morning.

I'm really curious as to what is causing this problem.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 9, 8:01am
having the switch in a different position wont change anything

chito, Dec 9, 8:13am
I think it was my bluebird that had an automatic position, so the lights turned on when the skies darkened, or in the garage.

hawat, Dec 9, 8:23am
Most cars do that nowadays but only after you turn the ignition on.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 9, 8:32am
its a 92 primera, there high low beam switch is by a movement of the arm not a twist knob, they never had the ability to switch there lights on in the dark automatically from factory standard or an factory option, you can install after market kit, but they usually have a ign cut off for when the key is in the off position, so its a column combo switch problem, the steering column covers behind the steering wheel need to be removed, the steering wheel needs to be removed so you can remove the combo switch from the column

snoopy221, Dec 9, 8:54am
Yip you need a new(or good secondhand) headlight/indicator.combinati-
on switch.
Or pop it in to a good auto electrician-maybe they can clean and repair the switch.
However they'll probably want to replace it for piece of mind.
Now be aware that the contacts in the switch that are **turning the lights on**
Can also cause the same lights to **turn off** while ya driving-espescialy when you go from dip to high beam.
[so yip get it sorted.]

40wav, Dec 10, 3:44am
scarlett-raine wrote:
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this!

'and just a tap of the knob will make them go off.'

Are you sure it's not your knob turning them on in the first place!.

'turned themselves on during the night,'

I had a girlfriend like that once.

kazbanz, Dec 10, 4:06am
Scarlette---I basicly agree with snoopy. except most likely its the pass/flasher that is faulting to on. the solution is as he says-replace the switch.