Reverse Lights

Page 1 / 2
anr, Dec 13, 11:27pm
Ok so it appears they aren't required to work for a WOF but just been failed for it. Can anyone point me to the specific legislation or a Fact sheet i can print out. Cheers

male_timaru, Dec 13, 11:28pm
Reversing lamps

Reversing lamps are white rearfacing lamps used to illuminate the area behind the vehicle when it is reversing.

Fitting requirements

A vehicle may have up to two reversing lamps, which must be wired so that they only operate when either:
reverse gear is engaged, or
the headlamps are turned off.
When purchasing reversing lamps, it is your responsibility to ensure they meet approved standards and are designed for that specific purpose. If in doubt, consult a vehicle lighting retailer.
On the road

Most reversing lamps operate automatically. However, where reverse lamps operate manually they must only be used when reversing.

male_timaru, Dec 13, 11:30pm
My understanding is that if they are fitted they must operate!

mugenb20b, Dec 13, 11:32pm
Bollocks!

mugenb20b, Dec 13, 11:33pm
To cut the long story short, the reverse lights must NOT be on, if the vehicle is moving forward. They don't have to work as such.

male_timaru, Dec 13, 11:34pm
how so - was informed by WOF inspector that if lights are fitted they must work - if there are none there then not a fail - On 1 car i owned (old isuzu gemini wagon) i removed my old ones as they didn't work - result was : WOF passed!

It's the same as fog lights etc built into headlights and lights fitted to front bumpers, etc - if they're there they have to work - as a WOF testing station only they were not trying to make money out of me so no reason for me to have extra work done etc

smac, Dec 13, 11:35pm
anr, it will be a far more straight forward conversation if you go to the manager of the work shop and request they show you where in the VIRM it says they must work (ie, where it says they can fail you if they don't).

male_timaru, Dec 13, 11:38pm
yip - i received fine once for $150 - white light showing from rear whilst driving - was faulty solenoid that engaged reverse lights when changing into 4th gear lol

therafter1, Dec 13, 11:40pm

male_timaru, Dec 13, 11:42pm
awesoem therafter1 - what was it you said mugenb!

anr, Dec 13, 11:48pm
Thanks thats the one i was after.
14.1 note 2: A reversing lamp that does not comply with equipment, condition and performance requirements must be made to comply
or be disabled so that it does not emit a light.

So it appears if i take the bulbs out they will pass. (disabled)

male_timaru, Dec 13, 11:49pm
you could try that but it seems you need 1 or 2 that operate - maybe take the one that doesn't work out and remove the wee light assembly and put a blanking plate there instead in its gap

carmedic, Dec 14, 12:10am
What he said.
Edit: I??

smac, Dec 14, 12:13am
It's already disabled.

It says if it doesn't meet performance requirements (ie only when going forward etc) then disable it. Nothing in the performance requirements says it MUST work. As already stated, go back to inspection site and ask them to show you which bit they think says they should fail it.

johnf_456, Dec 14, 12:51am
Correct

richard198, Dec 14, 1:13am
Only if that lamp would not comply, if it were working! i.e. it's not a permitted fitting. (They wouldn't go digging for bulbs though)
There's nothing there to say that no reverse light is reason for rejection.
Although the requirement for 75% of led's to work is out of kilter with the rest of the document!

crzyhrse, Dec 14, 2:15am
Yes, they don't need to work when they should so long as they also don't work when they shouldn't.

It seems ridiculous that a device that would serve as a warning to a pedestrian walking behind a vehicle that is about to reverse doesn't need to operate, yet if an auxillary main beam headlamp is fitted it must work and only the passengers in the vehicle should ever see the effect of its operation.

pup2, Dec 14, 3:05am
Ummmmm.does this mean when we turn our lights on, our reverse lights shouldn't work!
Anyhow, yea, you would think if they were there, they would have to work. Safer for people walking behind the car if it was working I reckon. Give them a heads up maybe

anr, Dec 14, 3:08am
cheers all i'll take it back and ask them nicely to dig the bit out. It's not a big deal but it's had 3 years worth of warrents without it being an issue

jimjonesy, Dec 14, 3:56am
It would probably would be a good idea to just fix them anyway.

anr, Dec 14, 4:00am
Yeah but that's not really the point, if its not a fail it shouldn't be a fail. How many other things get failed that shouldnt be! Theres a section under the reasons for fail for stuff like that. One of the other reasons they failed it was because they couldn't work out how to open the back door. (Isuzu MU)

male_timaru, Dec 14, 4:00am
maybe that's why so many people run over people in their driveways in NZ!It maybe the case - i don't know - maybe worth looking into - a heads up is always good - i hate it when walking past a driveway with my daughter to see a car reversing but no white lights showing they are reversing (as we all know some driveways allow reaction time - others not so much)!

jimjonesy, Dec 14, 4:04am
Well if you want to go on a crusade for most likely a couple of bulbs to fix them - good luck.

crzyhrse, Dec 14, 4:09am
Only if they're on a manual switch. Read the VIRM lighting PDF in the link someone above gave.

richardmayes, Dec 14, 4:39am
As it's now been over 5 hours since the original post, I presume the reversing light has now been fixed!