Moped keeps blowing headlight and indicators

Page 2 / 2
tonyrockyhorror, Jan 3, 6:46am
No problem.

cocabowla, Jan 3, 7:45am
yep, and they wonder why it craps out after a year or 2. mind you no doubt some shops wouldnt tell you to do that so you come back more often.

millna, Jan 3, 8:45am
thanks. i will also have a chat with battery seller/ bike shop :)

millna, Dec 30, 7:03am
I have a honda express (NA 50). that keeps blowing bulbs as soon as I put them in. they are super bright when they go then they blow. they are 6 volt. should I move up to 12 volt! will it work. any suggestions!

cmjury1, Dec 30, 7:05am
prob something to do with wiring a wire might be loose or faulty

m16d, Dec 30, 8:54am
Are you sure its 6v.!Have a look in the book, you'll probably find its 12v.

millna, Dec 30, 9:02am
i will look for my manual. I have done a wee search on the net and most people use 6v, and some people have moved to 12V after changing the battery. I suspect it might be 12 volt. will anything happen if I put 12 volt bulbs in!

m16d, Dec 30, 9:12am
Yer. I just had a look. They 6v.
Must be a problem with the alternator or regulator.or something.
Have a talk to your friendly auto electrician.Wont cost you nothing for a talk.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 30, 10:09am
Do they blow with the motor running, or just as soon as you put them in!

If it is as soon as you put them in, I'd suspect your bike is running a 12 volt battery, just look at the battery and see if it is 6 or 12.

If they are ok until the bike is running, then your regulator is probably goosed and rapidly destroying your battery while it's at it.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 30, 10:43am
PS: I should add, that when you look at your battery, if it is a standard lead-acid battery then a 6 volt one will have 3 cells (caps), and a 12v will have 6.

millna, Dec 30, 10:50am
They blow once the bike is started, not as soon as they go in. how can I check to see it the regulator that is poked with out blowing more bulbs!

Haven't checked the battery yet.

cocabowla, Dec 30, 7:58pm
they are from the late 70's , it'll be 6v

koriemouse, Dec 30, 8:31pm
check the water level in your battery, does the same on our AG100 farm bikes when the batteries go dry.

millna, Dec 30, 9:17pm
thanks will do. the bike has been sitting around for a couple of years. i guess i'm lucky it started

bwg11, Dec 30, 9:21pm
May be an open circuit caused by dry battery or bad connections preventing voltage regulation.

kazbanz, Dec 30, 9:41pm
BINGO.

millna, Dec 30, 10:17pm
so can I just top it up with tap water!

kazbanz, Dec 30, 10:26pm
You CANdo anything you want to but its not a good plan unless your tap water is actually rain water.--Batteries need distilled water or at least non treated water.
Incidently if the battery gets pretty hot its a pretty good sighn the reg/rec is cooked

cocabowla, Dec 30, 10:45pm
Honda NA50 Express II '80 - '81
NC50 Express '78 - '83

battery 6N4-2A-8

as that only fits that model you might not find one but the difference from standard 6N4-2Ais the type of terminal connection from memory.

if yours has been dry that long its almost certainly kaput, for less than $20 you'll pick up a new one.

millna, Dec 30, 10:55pm
so cooled boiled water okay!

millna, Dec 31, 1:32am
i suspect it will need to go to an auto electrician.

millna, Dec 31, 3:11am
I topped the battery up with water and the lights seemed a wee bit duller, but once I gave the bike a few revs the remaining bulbs blew. :(. I will send it in early next week.

jmma, Jan 3, 10:22am

c.c.d, Jan 7, 9:23am
I have had the same problem on 6V Honda Z50 s .
They had a rectifier I think the same as your bike. The rectifier changes AC to DC to charge the battery. I fitted a 12V voltage regulator that someone is selling on TM for about $20 bucks and fitted 12v bulbs and a battery .
No more dramas.Done this to 3 bikes so far.