Help need cheap good panel beater

Page 1 / 2
blindguy, Feb 16, 7:02am
in palmerston northwe have a mitsi rvr 1996 4wd
we have rust on roof that needs to be fixxed does anyone know anyone cheapin palmerston northas so far been quoted 100for bogging and 2 grand for new roof

franc123, Feb 16, 7:09am
send it to the scrapyard and go buy yourself a decent vehicle, that roof rust is unstoppable, its caused by paint and adhesive reaction in the reinforcing members underneath it. Anything you do now is temporary.Oh if its got a good gearbox and transfer case, be it manual or auto, pull that out first, still worth good $ to those who are motivated enough to still fix these things.

curlcrown, Feb 16, 7:12am
why can't they just cut out the rust and weld patches in. Don't worrey about it being just a temperary repair. Its a 15 year old car its best days are gone anyway. Did it fial a W.O.F.!

blindguy, Feb 16, 7:14am
it passed a wofand is a very very good car low kms and stufflike we have been told if we get it fixxedit would be a excellent car for a few yearsthere is to much to just cut it out

curlcrown, Feb 16, 7:16am
if it has passed a wof then the rust cant be that bad. How long ago was the wof done!

blindguy, Feb 16, 7:18am
last monthand the panel beater said that it is very badwe only got it todayso yeah we are wanting to find to see if somone knows somone around the aerea that may be able to do it cheaper

curlcrown, Feb 16, 7:19am
the panel beater has a vested interest in say it is very bad. Is it full of gaping wholes! I suspect unless the wof is a dodgy one then it will be mainly surface rust with maybe very tiny rust holes.

gunhand, Feb 16, 7:24am
Yea somethings not adding up here. You need to go get a few quotes to see how it stacks up. I smell a rip off here. I take you you have little knowladge on such things as well and cant really tell what it is your looking at!

blindguy, Feb 16, 7:33am
yeh we dont know anything reallyall it isthe guys all said thatit has 3 support poles across the roof and they have rusted through to the roof they are only suface no big holes just a few tiny ones as the guy who quoted cheapest at 1000 said its onkly rusted alot where the poles areif that makes sense

blindguy, Feb 16, 7:34am
does anyone know of a good panelbeater maybe somone who isnt in it to much for money somone that one of you have had good service with before

lookoutas, Feb 16, 7:37am
All Panelbeaters work for shit. Stop trying to make it worse.

Anyone know of a cheap Dr!

marcos1, Feb 16, 7:38am
It is a common problem in liberos.The adhesive used to bond the roof support rails is corrosive.It will have started to rust from the inside and progressed to the exterior.
Sorry ,but the only permanent repair is total roof replacement.
expect to pay mega bucks.

rob_man, Feb 16, 7:43am
Can you still buy a new turret for those even! I know the world ran out of Libero and Mirage turrets about ten years ago when the problem became well known.

gunhand, Feb 16, 7:47am
Well that kinda changes things abit. Yea its a shame when it happens. Ive seen rust where rust shouldnt really be but addesive causing it would explian a few things.

marcos1, Feb 16, 7:51am
The last one I priced was probably a couple of years ago now.
Don't know about availability now tho.
Cut your losses OP and junk it.

rob_man, Feb 16, 7:54am
Yep, it's been the adhesive from the word go. It's sort of spongy crap that absorbs water and holds it in forever. I reckon if someone was keen enough to take the hoops out and clean up the rust inside before giving the inside a layer of fibreglass and epoxy resin and urethaning everything back together. Then bog the outside and paint it, you might get quite a few years out of it.
But seriously, who would!

lookoutas, Feb 16, 8:07am
And as for welding patches in it!
Good luck.

I bogged up some Cortina guards years ago - treated & painted the inside with good sealing paint x lots of coats, and it lasted for years. Always used to sneak up and check it out when I saw it. Then actually got to know the new owner so was able to have a good look.

Rust is oxidization - ox meaning oxygen - seal steel off from oxygen and oxidization can't happen or continue. That's what robman just said.

blindguy, Feb 16, 8:30am
yeh thanks everyone i might just go round to panel shops and get cheapest for new roof then

bendean, Feb 16, 8:46am
got my evo1 roof done for 1500 painted, its the glue mitsi used which absorbs moisture they gota take out the screens and most of the interior you can save on labour like i did and take it out yourself then they drill out the spot welds and take the skin off depending on what the roof bows are like, if they are gone then it can get expensive they slap a replacement on they are easy to get hold of they press new ones in japan, put it back together easy but it depends on what the car means to you and your budget is i guess you dont want to put heaps into it and then it dies or something also mitsi were covering the costs up until abot 2 years ago but you could give that a try you cant come off any worse

blindguy, Feb 16, 8:59am
what you mean mitshi where covering cost when how

bendean, Feb 16, 9:05am
the cost of replacing the roof as it was there fault

blindguy, Feb 16, 9:07am
i might try themtomorroware they still doing it

gunhand, Feb 16, 9:11am
You do of course realise the japs would not never have intended your car to be still on the road today so rust 15 years on wasnt in there thoughts. How long they keep them over there! 3 years then there toast, or at least Kiwi toast.

bendean, Feb 16, 9:13am
they stopped about 2 years ago but its there fault none the less just say its just bubbled up recently and your pissed off my way of looking at it is if they say no you aint any worse off but if they say yes then sweet as

blindguy, Feb 16, 8:54pm
yeh they said no but allgood worth a trygoing to go round palmy get quotes for new roof next wednesday