What's the most unreliable car of 80's/90's/00'-s!

Page 2 / 4
rover79, Dec 30, 12:15pm
Ha, just looked at rover 216 sli 1997 on here and the first one that come up stated headgasket issues.

foxdonut, Dec 30, 12:31pm
Any Rover or Lotus with a K series engine is a headgasket failure waiting to happen.

Once they moved to D and B Series Honda motors the headgasket issue went away entirely - it was the rest of the car that fell apart after that.

The Cavalier was still worse than the the Tomcat - the Rover at least had speed on its side and an American four cylinder engine is probably worse than a british one.

nzshooter01, Dec 30, 8:48pm
we had a cavalier for a cple yrs, had no problems at all, know of other people the same, whats sposed to be so bad about them!

socram, Dec 30, 9:11pm
Toyota Surf
Honda CRV

The Rover head gasket thing has been done to death on these message boards and with a combined total of 12 years of K series engines over three cars, no failures whatever, mechanical or otherwise. Paintwork was also far better than any Jap paintwork and they all drove better than Jap equivalents.
Two family Toyota Surfs, two lots of head gasket problems. Funny that.

bashfulbro, Dec 30, 9:16pm
Any Japanese car that begins with M

kazbanz, Dec 30, 9:44pm
In fairness some cars seem great for the first few years. Problems only surface after they have a few km under their wheels

mugenb20b, Dec 30, 10:03pm
Funny you should say that because the ones with Honda engines were the most reliable.

mugenb20b, Dec 30, 10:04pm
Makes sense, very logical thinking.

mugenb20b, Dec 30, 10:08pm
Yeah, and two lots of idiots not keeping up with maintenance. The average owner of a car will not know what to look for in order to avoid problems. The Surf diesel motor was a matter of 'IF' it blows a head gasket, the K Series Rover was a matter of 'WHEN'.

mugenb20b, Dec 30, 10:10pm
Maybe, but at least in a Jap car you won't have to listen to rattly interior panels and dashboard.

jasongroves, Dec 30, 10:20pm
Most unreliable car I have personally owned was an 80-something Sierra wagon with the electronic carb set up.
Close 2nd would have been a Mk5 Cortina, but I think that was poorly maintained by previous owner/s.

utwo, Dec 30, 11:15pm
The Dog and Lemon Guide gives the Land Rover Freelander special mention as one of the the most unreliable "cars". You can even download a free review, LOL. www.dogandlemon.com/sites/dogandlemon.com/files/land_rover_freelander_1997-06_0.pdf

intrade, Dec 30, 11:25pm
acording to some only mitsubishi heavy industry heatpumps are mitsu$hitheap. other mitsubishi ones are suposedly ok

johnf_456, Dec 30, 11:27pm
Toyota cavalier : where do you want to start with these

johnf_456, Dec 30, 11:30pm
A bit broad, there is many fantastic cars that start with M.

phillip.weston, Dec 31, 12:38am
Just means there will be plenty more for me then haha! I've never had any more issues with my 80s/90s or 2000's Mitsis than I have had with all the other makes I've owned.

phillip.weston, Dec 31, 12:40am
Nothing wrong with Mazda!

mugenb20b, Dec 31, 1:02am
Mitsubishi Electric is one of, if not the best brand heat pump there is. I've installed over 300 of them without one single failure, on top of that, I've installed around 60 Karda and 50 odd Haier brands. Only the larger models of these gave problems. Mitsubishi Heavy Industries is the one to avoid (they are not actually made by Mitsubishi, they are relabelled Temperzone units).

trogedon, Dec 31, 1:04am
and little wrong with many Mitisis

wasser61, Dec 31, 1:22am
That was exactly what I was going to say. That idiot Clive "Lamb Chops" Mathew Wilson, should really change the name of the book to "Only buy a Toyota". Just think of the saving in paper.
As for worst reliability, in the 80's anything from England, 90's Anything from France, 00's Ditto Anything from France.

3tomany, Dec 31, 1:36am
my bad experiences are mitsubishi sigma and toyota surf both cars were a disaster even though i bought them at low ks

3tomany, Dec 31, 1:38am
have you smelled one going down the road lately

miss-shortae, Jan 1, 5:53am
mine would have to be my 1991 subaru legacy. ej20t. lack of service from previous owners didnt help. now it sitting in the shed collecting dust. was thinking about putting it up here actually

jimane, Jan 1, 9:45am
Mate my BMW has broken everything. diffs ect. and its am e46 ! when there working there great! when they break its just $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

trogedon, Jan 1, 5:30pm
Family members had one in the 90s. It was excellent (and in excellent condition).