Lagging the turbo!

the_devil1, Feb 19, 4:36am
Hi there, I was wondering if there wasa way to lag a turbo by any chance! This is what i mean. Instead of the turbo kicking in a 2-2.5rpm i would like to increase it to around 4ish (Save petrol etc) Is there a possible way!

ola_bitchola1, Feb 19, 4:44am
no not that i can think of not unless you want to put a bigger turbo on in which case it will be horrid to drive

sw20, Feb 19, 5:21am
Accelerate slower, that is the only way.

morrisman1, Feb 19, 5:23am
well yes but turbo charging increases the efficiency of an engine so its all about your right foot. Its too easy to accelerate quickly when you have a turbo there so its about self control more than anything else

lugee, Feb 19, 5:28am
This. A turbo doesn't actually increase fuel consumption in the grand scheme. For the extra fuel you are getting extra power (actually slightly more efficiency as above, because you get more compression). You just need to be lighter on the foot especially when the turbo spools up.

_peas, Feb 19, 5:33am
I will answer with a question. Why did you by a turbo!

johnf_456, Feb 19, 8:18am
Yip, if you want to save fuel get a good old push bike!

tnt423, Feb 19, 11:31am
Get a some pliers and crimp the oil line to the turbo, it will get less oil so there will be a bit more friction, making the boost come on later, or if you have time you could put a plate between the turbo and manifold with small holes drilled in it so it gets less air flow = turbo spooling later.

carkitter, Feb 19, 7:03pm
Moving the spool speed of the turbo further up the rev range requires major surgery including changing the turbo for a bigger one and camshaft profileand possibly compression ratio changes to maintain some level of reasonable torque at low to mid range speeds. This usually results in more power and fuel usage not less.

I would make sure the car is well maintained and tuned so that the engine is working at it's best and most efficient. Also, be realistic - if your car has low gearing for performance such as a WRX STI, it's fuel usage will be greater than say a Volvo T5 designed for cruising autobahns.

jsbike, Feb 19, 10:34pm
if the cams are re-profiled to make the most of of being off boost, as well as rasing the comp, you will get far less out of the engine when its on boost. Buy a non turbo.

1fordluva, Feb 19, 11:41pm
Re do the wastegate spring or get a different vac daiphram for the waste gate,it really is a bit of a waste of time,easier to do bigger turbo and fuel then when you root the engine get a forged one built.

bigfatmat1, Feb 19, 11:59pm
Plug the vacuum hose up for the waste gate with a screw

carkitter, Feb 20, 12:21am
If your engine is properly tuned and running well then having boost at 2000 - 2500rpm beans you can short-shift using the higher gears and not have to go anywhere near the upper rev range for power. Adjusting your driving style can save fuel. Subarus typically run a rich mixture, getting your car dyno-tuned and reducing the mixture to a less idiot-proof setting will save $$$ on fuel.

fordguy17, May 6, 4:51pm
Get a proper tune, will save you plenty of $$ in fuel, cars are tuned from the factory to run richer than they should so that people don't root them by putting in low quality fuel etc, just makes it safer. If you get it properly tuned you won't be using as much fuel and will actually get better performance as your car will be getting the correct amount it needs, as opposed to just that bit more than it needs with the factory settings. If you want turbo lag, buy a bigger turbo so it takes longer to spool.