Car re spray

Page 2 / 3
jessie01, Jan 4, 8:22am
yep panther is the colour

attitudedesignz, Jan 4, 8:23am
Yep, just went and checked colour swatch, i'd say Panther as well, although it's damn hard to see in the dark with crap light in shed LOL.

jessie01, Jan 4, 8:24am
it has chrome wheels and they are really shinny i hate them and was going to get them sandblasted and done black but have just seen one done and it looks ugly

gunhand, Jan 4, 8:29am
Yea, one of those colours that looked covered but when taken into the light, oops see through. caught out once and once only with fords heritage green! (on ELs etc)real dark green pearl.

attitudedesignz, Jan 4, 8:38am
Bet ya it's got nothing on Atomic or Crunch (GM) or that poxxy Ford colour Acid ! re coverage LOL.

gunhand, Jan 4, 8:42am
Crunch!and yea acid is a pain to.Good thing about modern colours is you dont have match them as they dontmatch from factory lol.
But my standards are higher than theres.

attitudedesignz, Jan 4, 8:45am
Crunch.

http://tinyurl.com/7pe7u32

And i think we've discussed new bumper coverage before.major factory paint fail lol.

gunhand, Jan 4, 8:47am
Oh that colour, havent had the privlage yet.

attitudedesignz, Jan 4, 8:51am
Oh you will my friend.enjoy hehe.

BTW, when ya get one be sure to bend down & check coverage on the sills.it will be a defining WTF moment.

elect70, Jan 5, 1:35am
Get 1 panel sanded with1200 grit& machine cut & polishedif it turns out OK then get rest done . May not need respray.

jessie01, Jan 5, 2:08am
have had it priced up today for a respray and to have the wheels sandblasted and rechromed. total cost is $1200. The man came recommended to me from my brother in law and hes very nice. Local to so no travelling involved. he has also put me onto another guy who will convert my car to manual we just have to find the bits to do this.

gunhand, Jan 5, 6:07am
Let us know when its done and how it looks.
My price was based on a panel/paint shop doing it, you know, withstaff,wages and useuall overheads etc etc.
Ive been in this game for a good number of years as have other guys who have posted above and all I can say is to respray a black car in Base coat Clear coat He will be mostly doing it for love. And your getting wheels rechromed for that $1200.geez weve been charged half that for a bumper rechrome.
$1200 = $75 an hour which may be about right for a NI city paintshop. So thats two days work not including materials.
To paint a car PROPERLY takes time.
After car is dropped off you should.
wash it
Dry it.
Dry or wet sand the clear assuming its a suitable substrate for a start.
Blow car down.
Mask car, Around inside of shuts as well.
use wax & grease on car.
Tack car off.
Paint car.Say 3 coats base and depending on what your doing 2 or 3 coats clear, 1 dust coat and 2 wets is surfice useually of clear.
Once hardened, either by heat (and that costs) or by leaving overnight at least, you have to (unless you like peel)
Sand car with fine grade papers, the way of doing is personal choice for many.
Then a number of hours, for me minimun of a day polishing and at most 3 days, depends on what Im doing and size of car.
And thats also assuming theres no panel work which requires priming and sanding.
Unmask car
Clean up
Wash
present to happy customer.
Ive done as many others have as well truck loads of full resprays and Not including panel work I struggle to see how it can be done for $1200 using quaility products and doing an exceptable job and have for wheels sandblasted and rechromed.
Maybe I work to slow!
Last car I done at home the materials cost close to $1200 alone (and i get trade prices) with out all the labour and panelwork.
Good luck and I really hope you dont regret it down the track.
Please please do some research before commiting as it sounds like you really like your car.
OH, and I bet once (if) something goes wrong there will be no warrenty.

grangies, Jan 5, 6:18am
Absolutely.

Excellent post.

Good on you for taking the time to write all that down. Hopefully the OP will take it all in.

EDIT TO ADD>>>>>

I can't see how even the wheel re-chroming could scrape in at $1200.

gunhand, Jan 5, 6:20am
And we both know theres even more involved useually.

marcos1, Jan 5, 6:38am
Twelve hundy!.*sniggers

I love "How Much to Paint my Car.!" threads.

gunhand, Jan 5, 6:41am
And have 4 wheels rechromed as well for that.

fordkiwi27, Jan 5, 6:47am
$1200 no way to rechrome rims as well.

jessie01, Jan 5, 7:23am
that is the price he charges. he is a business and many of thelocal classic car club know him. my BIL has a 56 Chevy and he painted that, it looks great. maybe it is for love but i dont think so as he dosent know me that well at all, only through someone else.
I will definately take what you have said into consideration tho as I dont want to be disappointed.

jessie01, Jan 5, 7:24am
it is only a respray not a full coat if that makes any difference

gunhand, Jan 5, 7:29am
Hmmm me thinks your getting just a few panels done.And respray tend to mean the whole car as a rule. But yes you do indeed respray individule panels.
maybe we lost something in the interpritation.

marcos1, Jan 5, 7:29am
Sounds like a quick mask up and a jamjob.good luck.

jessie01, Jan 5, 7:29am
the whole car is what i asked for

jessie01, Jan 5, 7:31am
the scratches are very minor not deep at all theres just lots of them like a cat has been on the car, just light surface scratches

elect70, Jan 6, 2:21am
For that price get in writing what hes going to do . Black is a bitch they sayshows every imperfectionso as aclassicwantexcellent jobnot just a blow over . & get a good rechomer tooask the hot rod boys who is best,quality varieshugely .

trogedon, Jan 6, 5:10am
You win the 2012 Award for the longest post so far. A veritable novella of a post.